24: Crying and Smoking

Like I'm Going to Lose You by Meghan Trainer covered by Christian Collins
(It's sooooo good!)

Ten minutes later India and Jesse were sitting on the grass six inches apart with their hands holding each other between them and silence wrapping around them like a tight noose. India wanted Jesse to speak, she knew he had to but she didn't want to prod him like a wounded animal.

Instead she leaned over and kissed his cheek, giving him assurance that she was there for him any way she could.

It worked because Jesse looked at her, his bright blue eyes shining in the dark like diamonds in a dark cave. His voice was as broken as India's heart when he whispered, "You don't want to know about how I got these scars."

"You're right," she agreed, "because I'm going to kill them when you give me a name."

Jesse chuckled softly and grasped India's hand tighter. If he was going to tell anyone about his scars than he couldn't imagine a better person than India. Before he did though he made her promise him something.

"When you see me after this I don't want you to see my scars. I want you to see me."

India reached up and held his cheek in one hand. "All I can ever see is you."

Jesse had to do it, he just had to. He needed some sort of strength and the only way he could do that was to take the air from India's lungs. He leaned in and kissed her gently, as if he was kissing a newborn baby for the first time. And just like kissing a new human into the world it gave him enough strength to move on.

When he pulled away he told her everything, not keeping his eyes off of her even as both of their eyes brimmed with tears. He told her everything he told Aurora. . . plus some.

"He killed her," he choked, remembering the horrible memory with clenched eyes. Though when he opened them and saw the beautiful angel sitting before him the memory washed away like a leaf in a windstorm. "One day Wayne went too far and didn't stop until she died."

He kept his eyes on India's blue ones, noticing how there were flecks of gray scattered in them.

"He was drunk, he passed out after he did it and didn't bother to hide the body. Hell I don't think he even knew she was dead when he curled up on the couch and fell asleep."

Jesse realized that India had perfectly symmetrical pink lips that looked plump all the time. Kissable lips.

"Well my uncle decided to stop by the next morning," Jesse paused, remembering exactly what happened that morning from his point of view. "He found his little sisters body on the floor of the living room while her husband, his friend, slept a few feet away." Jesse couldn't hide the fact that his voice cracked on the last word. He wanted to be strong, not for himself but for India. That plan went down the drain though because as soon as India's arms wrapped around his neck he started to cry, and he didn't see an ending to it.

While he cried India whispering the same words into his ear.

"I'm not leaving you. I'm not leaving you."

...

"Where do you think India and Jesse are," Keenan asked for the second time in ten minutes.

Aurora groaned and leaned her head against the passenger window. "If you keep asking that question than I'm going to smash your car window."

"I can't help the fact that I'm worried for my friend! She could be lost right now! In the woods," he added for dramatic affect.

"You need to take a chill pill, or better yet," Aurora said with a killer smile. "You need to take another hit." She held up the glass pipe that she just finished refilling with drugs that were considered illegal in their state.