17: A Genitalia For a Kiss

Angel of Small Death and the Cocaine Scene by Hozier
Picture of Jesse Cress

Thirty minutes later India found herself tucked behind a tree with her heart beating erratically out of her chest. She hadn't seen anyone yet but it was the adrenaline of knowing that someone was out there; all she had to do was be ready to pounce.

She momentarily forgot about last night, having to sleep next to Luna and agree with her about much of a jerk Aiden was. He really was, India had to admit. She didn't know if it was good or bad that Luna wanted to be alone today. She could only wait until the game was over when she would get to go back to camp.

A movement ahead of her made India freeze and grasp the tree trunk beneath her nails. She could see a figure walking through the woods, one of the boys with a dark gray t-shirt on. She couldn't remember who was wearing a gray shirt but when she saw the bright hair she knew exactly who it was.

She cursed her luck as he continued to walk towards her, his head down and his blonde hair covering his eyes and his hands stuffed into the pockets of his jeans.

India really didn't want to jump out and scare him, she didn't want to talk to him at all but that would go against the point of the game. With a deep breath she decided to be fearless, even though her heart was skipping one to many beats, and prepared to scare him.

Agonizing moments passed before Jesse walked right past India, completely clueless to her presence. She let him walk past the tree a couple steps before she crept out. As she was getting ready to scream behind his back he casually said, "Hello India."

Her whole body froze in the position she was in, arms above her head like she was chasing off a bear and her mouth open wide in preparation to yell. He turned around casually, a smirk on his face and his eyes bright with amusement.

"Gotcha," he said, chuckling a little.

India let her arms rest at her sides again and she stood up straight, trying to earn back some self-pride.  "How did you know?"

"I saw you hugging the tree from over there," he looked beyond the tree in the area that India was keeping her back to. "It was pretty easy to walk around and play the victim."

India wanted nothing more than to stomp her foot and march off, maybe throw some dirt in his face. She didn't like losing in academics, but she didn't think she ever hated losing in games just as well. "Well I guess I'm a hider now," she grumbled. "Are we just supposed to walk around and hope we find somebody?"

"Basically," he sighed. "I could walk you back closer to camp? You went a pretty far way off."

"I did," she asked confused. She had sworn she didn't go far. She didn't want to get lost again like yesterday.

"Come on," Jesse said, putting a hand on her back and guiding her back the way he came.

"Wait," she said, stepping out of his reach but still walking. Looking behind her she said, "If you were behind me before than wouldn't be that the direction of camp?"

"No," he said shortly, picking up his pace so India was forced to walk faster to keep up.

...

Ajax walked past Luna's tent and heard a sniffle, so he knew that she was either crying or was sick. He looked around the camp which was empty of anyone else. Lee and Willow got into his truck and drove off as soon as the rest of the guys left. Ajax knew they wouldn't be back until dark, maybe later.

After hearing another sniffle that oddly sounded like her chocking as well Ajax decided to intrude. Without saying anything he unzipped the tent and crawled in.

"Go away," Luna said, her face pressed into her arms. She was sitting up, curled into a ball in the center of the tent. Even with her voice muffled Ajax could hear the despair in it.

Instead of answering he sat down in front of her, his legs crossed and his back hunched over. Seconds passed and she repeated the same thing followed by another sniffle.

"Not until you stop crying," he said.

"Fat chance," she muttered.

Ajax bit his lip and looked around which deemed pointless when he realized that this tent looked just like every other one.

When his eyes fell back on Luna her eyes were already on him. Ajax noticed they were big and brown and surrounded by puffy lids, not to mention the lines of mascara making streaks down her cheeks.

"Why are you wearing make up on a camping trip," he asked curiously.

She only glared at him, hardening her brown eyes. "Really, that's the question you ask me?"

"I mean none of the other girls are wearing makeup. It's not really something you bring with you to camp."

"Well I did okay," she snapped. "And besides you should be thanking me. No one wants to see me all natural," she said with a dry laugh.

"That's bull shit," Ajax said, catching her attention. When the pressure of her intense gaze became too much Ajax broke.

Before he knew it he was telling her something that he really shouldn't have.

"This is going to sound really lame," he sighed. "But I had a huge crush on you freshman and sophomore year. You didn't wear makeup then and I still liked you."

"You liked me," she whispered after a long moment of silence.

Ajax couldn't help but laugh. "Didn't everyone? When you broke up with one boy there would be another waiting. Eventually I gave up because I knew I would never stand a chance with a girl who grew tired of boys so quickly."

"I didn't grow tired of them," she said sadly. "They all broke up with me."

"All of them," he asked amazed. "That can't be true. I mean who wouldn't want to be with you?"

Luna looked up at him, finally a smile spreading across her lips. "If you're trying to make me feel better out of pity than you can stop anytime."

"That's not what I'm doing," he argued. "I seriously liked you back than and hell when my brother told me he was bringing you I even got a little jealous. I would've sold my left nut to get a chance to kiss you. All those guys are idiots obviously, my brother included." He laughed a little, suddenly feeling nervous like he used to as an underclassman when he was around Luna.

Luna smiled bigger with the hole in her chest filling up just a little.

Without taking a moment to think about it she leaned over the small space between them and kissed Ajax softly on the lips. Pulling back again she said, "Well there you go and you don't have to sell any of your balls for it either."

Ajax stared at her amazed, his lips still tingling with the feeling of her mouth on his. All the feelings and dirty thoughts from years ago came rushing back to him in a tidal wave. He had to get out and fast. He scrambled for the tent opening, Luna laughing behind him.

When he managed to crawl out Luna said loud enough for him to hear, "Just so you know, you definitely would have stood a chance."

...
IMPORTANT!
Okay so updates will be different from now on. I will be updating every other Saturday (with longer chapters) until it reaches 1000 votes, then updates will be twice a week again.

So if badly need more updates and quicker than go back and vote for all the past chapters that your haven't yet and share this story by sending it to random people in their messages.

It will help me out a lot and make me so happy:) this book is my favorite so it's easy to write but I'm sad by how many people read it and don't vote.

And honestly you guys will not regret helping me out after you read be next chapter! It will make you feel all kinds of happy:)