Chapter Ten

Nervously almost the whole office crowded around Emily’s theater room watching the announcement show. Every year Emily watched with a stomach full of butterflies this year she had decided to invite people over to share in her nerves. The Grammy nominees were being announced and Emily was dying to know what she got if she got anything. Finally one category at a time Emily’s name was announced in seven categories and the whole house filled with cheers.

     “Emily there is a call for you,” Brooke said over the noise.

     “Tell I’ll call them back,” Emily smiled.

     “Its about David,” she said nervously.

     “What?” she exclaimed.

     Quickly she grabbed the phone from Brooke and hurried out the room to talk to whoever was on the phone. Elizabeth was in tears as Emily struggled to hear her explain what happened. All Emily heard was that David had been shot and was in the hospital that was all Emily needed to hear. Leaving Brooke to deal with the party Emily grabbed some things and was on the next flight out of the nearest airport.

     Emily fidgeted the whole plane ride and would have run the whole way to the hospital if a car hadn’t met her at the airport. Fighting the crowds of cameras outside the hospital she met Elizabeth inside and followed her to his room.  Scared she stopped just outside his door and froze as she saw him attached to so many monitors. Finally Emily carefully placed one foot in front of the other forcing her to walk into the room and sat beside his bed. Hour after hour went by as he slept and Emily held his hand, watching doctors come in and out.

     “Emily,” he said raspy.

     “Scare me like this again and I will kill you,” she blurted.

     “I’m fine,” he smiled.

     “You better be,” Emily said lightly hugging him.

     Happily Emily went to get Elizabeth and Albert who were sitting out in the hallway trying to stay strong. Letting them go in and see their son Emily struggled not to cry reminding herself to be happy he was fine. Standing in the doorway Emily smiled as she watched Elizabeth hit him in the arm for scaring her so much and Albert making jokes to make things easier. She was standing there when a soldier passed by her and went straight to David’s bedside.

     “I came as soon as I heard,” the soldier said.

     “He’s fine don’t worry,” Albert smiled.

     “I’m going in search of food do you guys want anything?” Emily asked.

     “Thank you Emily but no,” Elizabeth smiled.

     “Wait you’re Emily?” the soldier asked.

     Cautiously Emily checked out the soldier before saying yes. He had short black hair and blue eyes just like David and was dressed in fatigues. Emily had never seen the man before but he apparently knew her as more than just a musician.

     “I’m Christopher the youngest of the family,” he smiled.

     “You’re the who of the what?” Emily asked.

     “He is my brother,” David sighed.

     “Its nice to meet you,” Emily said shaking his hand. “I wish I knew more about you.”

     “It is quite alright I spend most of my free time in Italy,” Christopher smiled.

     Quickly Emily excused herself trying not to show how angry she was at the moment. Going on a search for any type of vending machine Emily let Brooke know everything was all right and found a candy vending machine.  For a while she sat outside trying to wrap her head around the past twenty-four hours and get off her emotional rollercoaster. Finally Elizabeth, Albert, and Christopher left and Emily was able to confront David alone about his big secret.