Chapter Seven

Excitedly Jessie bounced onto Emily’s bed and smiled up at her. Immediately Emily knew what she wanted and ignored her as she watched television. There was no way they were discussing the subject anymore Jessie could not make her. They were not going to agree no matter how much Jessie pressed the issue.

     “Oh come on you cant ignore me,” Jessie said.

     “I’ve been doing a pretty good job of it so far,” Emily said.

     “You’re no fun,” she pouted.

     “Exactly why I don’t want a party,” Emily smiled.

     Immediately Jessie went into all the reasons why Emily should have a birthday party. Ignoring her Emily began getting ready for work reminding herself of all the reasons why she shouldn’t have a party. Finally Jessie gave up and stomped out of the room when she just completely stopped listening. It was her birthday how could she not want to celebrate it?

     Once Emily went into work she was completely safe from Jessie’s crazy talk. Easily she focused on her job without people coming up to her discussing possible party ideas. Brooke never in all the years they worked together had even suggested a birthday party let alone demand she have one. When Emily left the office that night she was so happy her birthday was passing quietly she stopped at the store to get something to celebrate with.

     Emily strolled through the grocery store snacking on early Halloween candy as she looked for her favorite holiday only cereal. It was barely a week into October and already all the displays were up and the themed items were flying off the shelf. Happily she remembered all of her good Halloween memories as she checked out. Every year she handed out candy and dressed up in amazing costumes.

     “Hey Jess I need your-“

     “Surprise!” a giant crowd of people shouted.

     “Oh dear lord,” Emily said horrified.

     “Happy birthday,” Jessie smiled.

     “I thought we discussed this.”

     “Go change I’ll put up the groceries.”

     Putting on her best fake smile Emily waved to all of her guest before hurrying upstairs to change out of her sweat clothes. She didn’t want a party turning twenty-six wasn’t that big of a deal. A nice dinner with her family and friends would have been perfect. Surprise parties never ended well for anyone even Jessie had had a bad surprise party or three.

     “Hey dad!” Emily smiled.

     “Happy birthday kid,” he said happily.

     “Hey twin,” Eric smirked.

     “Why is this party just for me?” Emily asked.

     “Because I’m awesome and I actually have to leave here is your gift good luck with all these people in your house.”

     “I want to see at least three dunks you hear me?”

     “Got it,” Eric winked.

     Happily Emily bumped fists with Eric before hugging him goodbye. She put his gift on the designated table and began mingling with her party guests. There were so many people in her house she couldn’t believe she knew that many people or that they all wanted to be at her birthday party. Emily was really curious how Jessie had pulled everything together.

     “Is she here?” Emily asked.

     “Sorry kid she’s not,” her dad sighed.

     “Its alright I caused it.”