Chapter Thirty

Our Town

Hayley pov-

I walked into school when Bonnie storms off from Elena. I go over confused. "What happened?" "Nothing." "What happened Elena?" "I had Damon compel Jeremy to leave town to go to Denver." I glare at her before nodding. "That was probably for the best then." I told her seeing how she got really shocked. "Why were you in the hospital?" "Doesn't matter. I'm fine now." I told her and walked away. After we all figure out a way to leave school again because Caroline never showed up we sneak into her house to hide. I hear the door shut and we all look at each other before running out. "Surprise!!" We all yelled and she jumps looking at us shocked. "Happy birthday!" Matt and I say. "What are you guys doing here?" "Well, you blew off school and missed our work of birthday art..." "So, uh, change into warmer clothes, we're going to the falls." I said. "S'mores, campfire." Bonnie says. "Cake!" Elena says happily and I chuckle. "Like when we were little." "Except with tequila!" Caroline chuckles at Matt. "Uh, thanks, guys, really, um...I'm just not really feeling my birthday this year." "I'm sorry. What? You already claimed your birthday as everyone's favorite day." "Yeah, and now it's just a reminder that technically I'm dead." I feel bad for her because yeah, you can really forget who's dead and not dead here. "Look, I didn't even like 17. The only point to 17 was to get to 18. It's a filler year. I am stuck in a filler year." "You're not stuck, Caroline." I told her. "Yeah, I am. But it's okay. You know, it's all good. I will be fine. But I just need some time to wallow in it." "Okay. Well, I think I have another idea."

Klaus pov-

"What do you want me to do with her head?" I was very annoyed with Stefan for killing Mindy. "Just get rid of it, burn it. I honestly don't care, Daniel." Tyler walks in now. "You called? I'm here." He looks to spot Mindy body was in. "What happened?" "What happened is Stefan had two paths in front of him. He chose the one that made me angry. I need you to help me do something about that." "Can't you just leave me out of it?" "What would be the point in that?" "Seriously man, cant you get one of your other hybrids to do your bidding? I lost my friends, my girlfriend--" 'There ya go.' "Right, your, uh, girlfriend. Um about her. I'm gonna need you to bite her." "What?!" "Don't make me repeat myself." "A hybrid bite would kill a vampire." "I know exactly what it'll do. Uh, Stefan pushed me too far, so I'm pushing back." "I'm not biting Caroline!" "Tyler. I've been supernaturally blessed with the good fortune of a sire bond to you...so one could consider this me putting your undying loyalty to the test." "What the hell is wrong with you? I'm not hurting Caroline." I smirked. "Alright. Alright. I'm disappointed. But it's your choice, free will and all that." I turn back to face him. "I'll find another way to strike at Stefan. You can go now." I told him and he leaves.

Hayley pov-

We got to the cemetery for Caroline funeral/birthday. "Oh there it is." Elena says. "This is creepy." I said pushing the door open followed by Bonnie. "Even for us." She says. "No, Caroline was right. Technically she's dead." Elena says and I walk over placing the lamp down as she put the cake down. "Sorry. But you don't need a birthday. You need a funeral. You need to say goodbye to your old life so that you can move on with your new one." Caroline chuckles before smiling. "Okay." She says taking off her tiara & placing it down. "Here lies Caroline Forbes." "Cheerleader, Miss Mystic Falls, third grade hopscotch champion." Elena says and I chuckle remembering that. "Friend, daughter, over-achiever." Bonnie says. "Daddy girls, bad ass, and Blondie barbie." I said smiling walking over to her. She smiles back to me. "Mean girl, sometimes, no offense." "Ha. None taken." "She was 17 and she had a really good life. So rest in peace..." Elena picks up the cake walking over to us. "So that you can move forward. It's what you really need. It's what we all really need." "Amen or cheers or whatever." I say after my sister. We all laugh and Bonnie lights the candles. "Nice. Okay, make a wish."

Klaus pov-

"You know, when I think of a mayor, I think of an old fuddy-duddy." I told Carol. "But you really have changed my perception." She chuckles. "Thank you." "What color are your eyes?" "They're blue." I was about to talk when Damon interrupted. There we go. "Look at what the cat dragged in. Nice visit." "Thank you very much. Good to see you, Damon." I said looking at him. "Uh, Carol and I were discussing if you would be tonight's other big benefactor." "What do you say, Damon? Klaus has made a very generous pledge. You know how we're chomping at the bit to begin the renovation." "Hmm. Carol don't take this the wrong way but do you realize you've been kissing the ass of an immortal hybrid...who ruined your son's life?" "Awe. Come now, some might say I saved it what with that nasty full-moon business. I never had to go through it myself more than twice, to be honest...but still, I'm very sympathetic." I told the last part to Carol as I was looking at her. She nods and looks back to Damon. "Klaus had promised to protect Tyler, Damon. And our town." "From who? His hybrids are the ones this town needs protection from." "Well I'd have no use for them if your brother would kindly return my family." "Not gonna happen." "That's what I thought. Which is why I've come to an agreement with the mayor. You and the Council stay out of my hair, I'll stay out of yours. Your town gets protected, my hybrids get left alone, everybody will be happy. All you have to do is to get Stefan to stop decapitating my friends." I tell him in the kindest way I know how. "Please, Damon, just get your brother under control or the Council will be forced to take action against him." "You've gotta be kidding me." "Come on mate. Give peace a chance." I told him with a smirk.