Chapter 3: Chicago

Chicago, Illinois

I swear I need to get away.

Drugs doesn't work.

Alcohol doesn't work.

Pills don't work.

Am I invincible?

Why won't I die?

Why can't I?

I'm so tired of crying.

I'm so tired of lying..

Telling everyone I'm okay.

When in the inside I'm dying.

Life is too hard.

I hate everyone and everything.

But most of all

I'm tired of living in this fucking poverty.

"Cheyanne are you with us?" Mrs. Lassiter questioned as she noticed Cheyanne scribbling down something during her lecture.

Cheyanne looked up at her and nodded. Normally Cheyanne would have snapped at any teacher who spoke to her, but she liked Mrs. Lassiter so she gave her respect.

"Well class I have a very nice offer to give you all" Mrs. Lassiter picked up a stack of paper and started to hand them down the rows. "How many of you would like to go on a trip to Virginia Beach, Virginia?" She asked the class.

They all gave her blank stares and continued to look down at the paper. Cheyanne lifted her arm into the air and waited for the teacher to call on her.

Once Mrs. Lassiter placed the remaining stack of papers back onto her desk and looked up she noticed Cheyanne and pointed towards her. "Yes Miss Simmons, you have a question?"

Cheyanne nodded as she lowered her hand. "How much does this trip cost?" The whole classed mumbled in aggreance and started to explain that they didn't have enough money to go on any trips.

"The trip is free, calm down you all. The superintendent only paid for 15 students per senior English class to go though." She paced the floor back and forth and clapped her hands together. "Which means in this year, none prior, you couldn't have been suspended, a behavior student, or constantly tardy."

Cheyanne started to think back. She came to the conclusion that she got suspeneded a lot of times, but this year she had been good. She just wanted a way out. She knew this could be her way.

She flipped back the first page of the packet and noticed that there was an application page. She looked over it and started to fill it out right away. Her bestfriend Lyn Ann Marie leaned over her desk towards Cheyanne and started to whisper. "If you go I'm going Chey, but I can cover us both if you want me to." Lyn gave her a half smile.

Cheyanne loved her best friend and she bought her any and everything she wanted. They stuck beside each other. Cheyanne was poor in money; while Lyn was neglected by her family.

Lyn's pedigree consisted of both of her parents being big time drug dealers. She will never have a man because of high profiled they are. They are all terrified of her family, not to mention she has the ability to kill someone with two straws and toothpaste. Lyn was not one you'd want to fuck with.

"Marie you don't have to, once I make a couple of drops I think I'd be able to make this trip, plus its free the most we'd pay for is food and shopping" Cheyanne said trying to hatch a master plan. Lyn nodded and sat back in her seat and started to fill out the papers.

"Now class when we get there we will be listening to the famous poet Maya Angelou's niece. She will recite her aunt's poems and there will be four other schools from around the United States."

"What other states or cities will be participating?" Logan asked as he tapped his pencil on the desk waiting for a reponse.

"A lot of school haven't replied to the opportunity because they don't have the sufficient financial services they need. The cities that we have heard back from is Newark and Detroit and that they will be participating."

"So basically its just all the ghetto, and urban cities?" Lyn asked without bothering to raise her hand.

"Well its just the schools who are less fortunate than others" She quickly responded.

I didn't care if it was all for the rich private schools I was going to find a way to get on this trip.