Chapter 17 - Goodnight

Author's Note: Thank you all for reading - I really appreciate the support.

Dedication: For Angel_Eyes24. Thank you for reading, for supporting, for staying. Thank you for the lovely comments you've given me on every chapter. Thank you for enjoying my story because, well, that's all I ever wanted :)

*****

I shrieked as the stage gave way under me and my hands scrabbled at the edge of the trap door. I hung on, my legs swinging into the darkness bellow me. Wood and splinters bit into my palms, scratched my fingers...but I couldn’t let go. I shifted my position and winced as my hands grasped a piece of metal with sharp ends. A drop of something warm trickled down my arm...blood. My blood. Hastily, I moved back to my original position and screwed my eyes shut and clenched my teeth, trying to take my concentration away from the pain, from my slipping fingers. Oh, it hurt alright. It did. And the fear. That knot of fear twisting in my chest while my heart pounded. I couldn’t fall.

Just as I felt my strength was about to give out, I felt someone grab my arms and haul me clumsily up from the hole, dragging my body along the floor boards. I didn’t really care at that moment, all I wanted to do was lie there and breathe. Breathe. My heart rate slowed and, cautiously, I sat up. “Are you alright?” Said Otto, concern clear in his eyes.

“I’m...Yes. I’m fine. Where are the puppets?”

“Gone.” He said, frowning. I looked around and saw Ryba had come out from her hiding place and was standing stock still in the centre of the stage, staring.

“Ryba?” I said, watching her. She didn’t answer, just stood and stared at the back of the stage. “Ryba?” I tried again.

“What are we going to do, Anna? What are we going to do?”

“I don’t know.” I shook my head, trying to rid myself of the images of the puppets. “I...I don’t know.” I whispered, despairing.  I looked into the darkness and saw the puppet, the one that had waved. It looked at me, raised its hand, and left. I shivered.

“Come on,” said Otto, taking my bleeding hand carefully “we need to go and find a bandage.” I looked down and saw the cut. It wasn’t too deep but it was there and needed taking care of. 

“Alright. I don’t think we should stay here tonight.”

“Anna...” Whined Ryba. “Don’t leave me.”

“Come and stay at my house.” I said as Otto led me off the stage “do you have any bandages?”

With my bandaged hand we walked out of Ryba’s theatre after leaving a note for her parents. It was dark and our three shadows darted in and out of sight when we passed under a lamppost. When we got to Otto’s house I stopped and said “I don’t need walking home today, it’s alright. There’s two of us,” I said, clapping Ryba on the shoulder “we’re more than a match for anyone.”

Otto rolled his eyes and said “well, if you’re sure. I’ll see you some other time then.” He squeezed my uninjured hand for a moment.

“Alright, goodnight!”

“Goodnight, Anna.” He said, turning and walking up to his front door.

Ryba and I walked on and it hadn’t even been a minute before she said “he’s really nice you know.”

“Who?”

“Otto.”

I rolled my eyes “well, I am friends with him.”

She stuck out her tongue “you know what I mean.”

“But I wish I didn’t.”

“You’re so stubborn-“

“Oh, look!” I said, before Ryba could finish her sentence. “There’s Alexandur, the magician. He must have been to see our show.” I saw the magician and another man walking out from the crowd of people surging out of our theatre. “Come on, let’s go and say hello before they go! I want to know what they thought of our puppets without strings.”  Our feet clapped on the cobbles as we made our way towards them.

“Ah, hello Anna.” Said the magician before I could acknowledge him. “Hello, Ryba.” Ryba blushed and nodded at him.

“Hello, sir. I see you’ve been to see our show.”

“Yes, indeed I have. I’m most amazed, how do you do it?”

“I thought you’d know, sir. You did it yourself.”

Alexandur shook his head “not in the same way you did. Tell me, what’s your secret?”

I tapped the side of my nose “a good magician never reveals his secrets.” I grinned broadly.

“Very well. You’re always welcome to stop by and visit though you know.”

“Of course. I’ll bring Ryba too,” I said elbowing her. Ryba mumbled something about it being ok, and that she was busy but I don’t think Alexandur heard.

“Goodnight, then.” Said the magician.

“Goodnight.” I called.

*****

It was dark. It was nightfall. The puppets that had waited for so long, crawled from their hiding places and blinked. Like well trained thieves, they crept through the house. There was no tapping. No squeaking. No scratching. No banging. No. There was only silence. A woman slept, her fair hair fanned out around her, a few strands stuck to her face. The puppets loomed over her body, bundles of string and knives. They looked at each other, then at the woman and back at each other again. They nodded, as if agreeing on what they were about to do. The woman never saw it coming. She never had a chance. At least she never had to fear. She never had to see the horror surrounding her. The faces...the puppets faces were enough for someone to wish to die.

*****

The Creator reached out a finger and caressed the cold cheek of the woman, brushing her hair out of the way. Her face was unmoving as she slept, white like porcelain. Like a doll. “So beautiful...” Said The Creator, looking around him at his puppets. “You’re a nice one, aren’t you my dear?” The woman, of course, didn’t answer. “Well done,” said The Creator, addressing his puppets “well done. I only hope it will work. I only hope everything will be alright.” The Creator turned their attention back to the woman “goodnight, my sweet. I’ll wake you up in the morning.” The Creator laughed. A hard, cold laugh.

Goodnight.

*****

Author's Note: Thank you for reading this - I hope you enjoyed it and I'd love to hear your thoughts. :)