Chapter 3 - Aristocratic Arrogance

Author's Note: Here we have it, chapter 3 :) Gosh, 2 chapters a day, not bad for me. I hope you all enjoy!

*****

I walked along the hall, Erik at my heels, when I went into a room and opened a cupboard he said “so, what are you then? Your uncle’s little slave?”

“Excuse me?” I said, turning around.

“Well, you’re hardly old enough to work and I don’t think you’re doing this out of the goodness of your own heart. Who would?”

“Listen here, boy,” I really had absolutely no patience for people like him. Aristocrat or no aristocrat, he was going to be treated the same as everyone else. “I’m 14, which is the age most children are required to work by but a lot of children start in family businesses much earlier.”

“I-“ began Erik but I cut him off. Once I got started, I got started. You have to learn to stand up for yourself in my life. If you don’t you get pushed about and, trust me, you don’t want that.

“Just because you don’t have to lift a finger, doesn’t mean the rest of the world can sit back and relax too.”

“Daddy says-“

“Daddy says, Daddy says. Yeah, I’m sure your daddy says a lot of things, but some of us don’t have one so I’d appreciate it if you kept your mouth shut.” That was a bit of a harsh thing to say, considering Erik hadn’t actually said anything that would normally provoke a response like that but I was pretty annoyed by this point. The stupid boy was getting on my nerves. Who did he think he was? He was the same age as me, I think, and yet he acted as if he was better. After my outburst, I expected a ‘sorry’. That’s what most people would do. It’s what I’d do. But oh, no. Not proud Erik Kral.

“Bit mouthy for a girl, aren’t you?” He said, amusement flickering in his dark eyes. 

“And you’re a bit stuck up for a boy but you don’t see me complaining, do you?” I bristled. I may as well have been complaining but I wasn’t. Only in my mind. “Which one?” I held up two puppets.

“And your common,” spat Erik, but there was a smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. What was it with him? Was he enjoying this?

“It’s better than being a spoilt little brat like you,” I rolled my eyes “pink or green?” I said, referring to the puppets’ clothes.

“Both.” Said Erik and grinned, turning to leave. Greedy boy, I thought as I took the green puppet and then a red one off the shelf. I followed Erik back into the workshop.

“Make him dance,” said Pavel. I threaded my fingers through the strings of the red puppet. Its costume had some awfully intricate embroidery on it and I was thankful that we bought the clothes for the puppets and didn’t make them ourselves.  

It’s quite the art, making a puppet’s movements look smooth and flow into one another, it takes time and effort. The more strings you have the harder it is but the better the puppets movements look. Fortunately, having grown up with puppets my whole life, I was rather used to it and could make it look easier than it is.

“Marvellous!” Cried Lord Kral, clapping his hands. “How on Earth do you do it?” I glanced at Erik who had an odd expression his face that I couldn’t quite read. I made the puppet wave at him and he took a step back, his eyes wide. The insult was on the tip of my tongue but I bit it back and raised my eyebrows meaningfully at him instead.  Erik scowled and I held back my smirk that was itching to settle on my face. 

“Would you like a go, Sir?” I said, smiling at Lord Kral.

"I’d love one!” He was just like a big child, overly excited at a new toy he could have for his birthday. I handed him the green puppet and explained how to use the four strings for basic movements. It was nowhere near as complicated as what I’d done, but it always seemed to make the customers happy. Lord Kral appeared to be no exception. “Come on, Erik. Have a go.” He said delightedly as the puppet walked merrily up and down the workbench.

“No thank you.” Sneered Erik, “I’m no child.” He glared at his father who was laughing a little too madly for my liking. Well, you’re certainly acting like one, I thought, only children get into sulks over such trivial matters.  

My uncle and Lord Kral went into the back so he could see the puppets. Erik stood on the other side of the workbench and eyed me carefully. I sighed and picked up my chisel “you amuse me, you know.” Said Erik, smiling.

I glared at him “I’m glad something does.” He laughed and I cursed inwardly that my uncle had taken the two puppets with him.

“I don’t like puppets though,” he admitted.

“Oh?” I said, finally allowing the smirk onto my face “scared of a child’s doll?”

“It’s like...” Said Erik struggling to find the words “it’s evil. Like artificial life or something.”

I was impressed. Who knew the boy could think of something like that? Artificial life...I liked it. “It’s only because you saw the paper this morning.” I said, shrugging.

“Exactly! It’s just...weird. What’s wrong with real people in a theatre?”

“The murder was the work of a mad man.”

“Doesn’t matter.” We heard voices and footsteps as Lord Kral and my uncle made their way back.  “Well, I’ll see you soon then.” Said Erik, grinning.

“I hope not.” I said.

“Sorry.” He said, quietly, looking a little guilty.

“For what?”

“I can be stupid sometimes.” Then, he said a little louder as his father walked in “runs in the family.”

“What does?” Said Lord Kral.

“Intelligence.” Said Erik, following his father to the door. I turned away to hide my smile.

“Ah, yes! Indeed, my boy. Thank you, Mr Nedved for letting us come. We shall be back before long and we can discuss business. Good day.”

Just has I thought I could finally get on with some work Pavel said “Anna, could you run an errand for me?” I groaned, but at least it was an excuse to get out of the house.

*****

Author's Note: Well, a not so creepy chapter for you. It was just intoducing Erik, really. But, don't worry, the scary things haven't gone too far away. I hope you enjoyed and thank you for reading - I look forward to hearing your thoughts :)