Chapter 42 - All Curtains Down

• Dedicated to Everyone who has supported me...

Author's Note: The final chapter :)

*****

Christmas came and went and, even after the events that had occurred, it was no less enjoyable than it usually was. I’d been to see Otto, Ryba and Erik, spending a little Christmas with all of them. I was lucky to have good friends. Without them...I’d have never got anything done. I had no family now, I had the theatre and workshop with our house attached but had no heart to go back in. The police had done a cleanup, shocked by what they saw but didn’t attempt to make sense of the situation. The woman I had passed numerous times had miraculously survived for which I was glad.

Puppets had always been my life, my pride and joy and there was not much else I could or was willing to do. The problem was I couldn’t go back to the theatre...not yet. I needed a break.

*****

“You’re leaving?” Said Otto, his face falling.

“Not forever,” I said, rolling my eyes “just for a bit. Erik’s father offered to take to travelling, so I can go make some puppets and sell them to people in other countries. Don’t worry,” I laughed “I won’t be going out of Europe. I guess I’m going to be a bit of a gypsy for a while.”

Otto shrugged, smiling “I’ll have your Christmas present waiting for you.”

I nudged him “I’m not going to be that long, fool. Four months at the most.”

“That seems like long enough to me.”

“Listen, I’m not going to leave forever. I promise I’ll come back. I’ll have think about what you told me, but I don’t know now. It’s probably best not to get into anything when I’m going away anyway. But, right now, I need a friend to say goodbye to and to have a friend to say hello to. Then we’ll see, ok?”

“Ok.” Otto smiled “but I’m counting on you coming back in once piece.”

I shrugged “perhaps I’ll have a few extra pieces, will that do?”

“Oh, shut up.” Said Otto, hugging me, “have a safe journey.”

*****

I stood in front of a theatre, locked the door and hung the key around my neck. I stared at it long and hard, not quite believing what had happened. Erik came up next to me “are you ready to go?”

“I suppose.” I said. Even though it was all over, even though the secret was all buried...I felt something stirring and shivered. Stories never truly end, they just wait to be awoken by the right person. Hopefully this one wouldn’t be so sinister next time...

Erik offered me his arm and I ducked around him and linked his other one. He looked at me strangely “what?” I said and grinned “we’re leaving this place as friends, I’m not some lady who has to be treated that way.”

“Fine,” said Erik “but friends should let the other have the window seat, thanks Anna.” He grinned and raced off towards the carriage where his father sat waiting. I shook my head at the retreating figure and took one last glance at the building before following him.

In the theatre, the curtains really were going down.

*****

CURTAIN DOWN

THE END

*****

Author's Note: Thank you, my dear reader, for completeing this journey with me. Thank you for reading. Thank you for the support. Thank you for being here when I needed you...I couldn't have done it without you, it means a lot. The comments and feedback...they helped so much. I can't believe I've done it! I can't believe I made it at last! Wow, there's no feeling quite like this... :)

I always leave room for a sequel but if there is one...it's not coming up right now. But, this isn't the end of me - I have a new story 'The Council of Ten' coming up today. I know, three updates in one day, right? I really should spread them out... :)

So the curtains are going down here, but they're going up in just a moment. A new story, a new place and new people. Welcome, everyone, to Venice (you can find the story 'The Council of Ten' on my profile)

Thank you again, I will never be able to say those two words enough 'Thank You'.