Chapter 6 - How Long is a Piece of String?

Author's Note: Thank you everyone for reading and enjoying and supporting - all your comments mean a lot to me :)

*****

My gaze froze as I spotted the newspaper on the workbench. I put down my tools and pulled it towards me, staring at the headline.

Sleeping Beauty Sleeps Forever

A young girl was discovered yesterday morning dead in her bed. She appears to be the victim of the supposed madman responsible for one other death. Clues that point to this are the fact she had glass eyes instead of her real ones and that her mouth was stitched into a smile. The stitches were brutal and dried blood could be seen around the thread. She was killed with a wound to the heart, the attacker used some sort of knife to engrave a love heart into her skin, just where her real heart lay in her chest. We assure you that we are doing our very best to track down the killer and if you have any leads on the situation, do not hesitate to contact us. The-

I flung the newspaper to the side, not really wanting to know any more about the poor girl’s death. What sane man would want to harm an innocent child? But an insane one...well, that was another matter entirely. “Ah, you’ve seen the paper then?” Said Pavel, coming into the room and donning his hat at the door.

“Yes, it’s awful. I hope they catch him soon.”

“The streets don’t feel safe with someone like that on the loose. Anyway, Anna. I’m off to the theatre, I need to prepare some things for the show tomorrow. Erik Kral is coming over soon, so stay here until he’s been and then you can go off and do whatever.”

I groaned “what does he want?”

“He’s come to pick up a sample. Help him out, won’t you?” I made a face and just before my uncle left he said “oh, and Anna?” I looked at him “remember: Angel.” I rolled my eyes and he left, the door clicking shut.

Some time later there was a knock at the door and my heart sank. I’d been half hoping the boy wouldn’t turn up. “It’s open!” I called. Erik strolled in, that air of arrogance about him. At least he had the decency to apologise, it’s just a shame he couldn’t be more like that all the time.

“Hello! I’ve come for-“

“A sample.”

“Yes.” He said.

I waited a few moments “well?”

“Well what?”

“What sort of sample do you want?” I said, sighing irritably.

“There’s more than one type?” Said Erik, confused.

“Oh my...” I said under my breath “how am I supposed to give you a sample if I don’t know what sort you want? You could have found out before you left.” Erik glared at me and then I remembered: Angel. “Just one moment, sir.” I said, smiling sweetly. An odd look flashed across Erik’s face but he didn’t say anything and I didn’t care. I chose a few puppets from the back, wrapped them up in newspaper and put them in a bag. Handing the bag to Erik I said “I hope these please you, sir and we look forward to your next visit.”

"What has-“

“Have a nice day!” I said, ushering him to the door.

“-gotten into you?”

“Places to be, things to do.” I said breezily, walking out behind him and locking the door. “If you have any problems with the puppets, please don’t hesitate to return tomorrow and let us know.” I looked at the footman Erik had brought with him and nodded saying “good day.”

I was not even a minute down the street when I felt someone come up behind me. It didn’t really take a genius to work out who it was “I told you, sir. That if you-“

“Just drop the act already.” Said Erik, walking beside me.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about and why, may I ask, are you following me?”

“I’m accompanying you because I happen to be going the same way.”

“Sure.” I said, “I’m not doing anything interesting though so you may as well run along home.”

“But-“

“I don’t take kindly to strangers following me around.”

Erik snorted “stranger? What-“

“But what do I know about you Erik? Hm? Apart from the fact that you’re too stuck up for your own good and-“

“I said I was sorry about that. I’m not exactly the nicest person at times. Hanging around with people like that all the time...I sometimes forget to be nice.”

“You can come with me to meet my friend. Ok? After that you leave me alone.”

“Deal.” Said Erik, smiling smugly.

“This doesn’t change my opinion on you, you know.”

“Maybe I don’t want it to.” Said Erik, a grin on his face.

I shook my head “strange boy.”

“Well, I have been told.”

*****

“How’s your business coming along?” Said Henric. He walked over to Alexandur who was sitting in his chair fiddling with a piece of string.

“Not bad. Not good.” Said Alex, tugging on the string.

“What are you doing?”

“Me?” Alexandur looked up “I’m just a man playing with a piece of string. Nothing more, nothing less.”

“If I know you well enough then I would say that the piece of string in your hand has a purpose.”

“You always amaze me,” chuckled Alex, he pulled on the string making it grow longer. Then he twisted it around and closed his hands over it. “What’s the magic word, Henric?”

“What’s for dinner?” Said Henric, rolling his eyes.

“Ah, that was a phrase not a word,” Alexandur opened his hands and there lay a puppet. It had once been a string but now it was several and with a body.  It was only a small thing, with dainty arms and legs but, compared to a piece of string, it was most interesting.

“Is that it?” Said Henric “I was expecting it to be alive.” He laughed.

“Why you,” Said Alex throwing the puppet at Henric. But, instead of the small doll, confetti flew out of his hand instead. “Prague is full of puppets, my friend. I thought it a fitting trick.”

“Fitting it may be but once you learn how to turn rocks into gold, give me a shout won’t you?”

Alexandur laughed “you know, Henric. You’ll always be my friend.” He stood up and made towards the door “you know far too much. Far too much for your own good. Now, what about dinner? I say we light the fire.”

“What is the length of a piece of string?” Said Henric thoughtfully.

“As long as this and as wide as that.” Said Alexandur “but, just think. A piece of string can go a long way. All the things it can do, all the things is can be.”

“With you, maybe. But, with me, string will be string and nothing else.”

“That’s why you have me, see? To make your pieces of string into anything your heart desires.”

“Finally, we’ve discovered your true purpose!” Said Henric, pulling out a pot. “How does soup sound to you?”

*****

Author's Note: A bit of a nothing chapter. I guess you got to meet Alex and Henric a little more, I'm rather fond of them :) In fact, I'm pleased at how all my characters have been turning out. I hope you enjoyed this and thank you for reading :)