Chapter 7 - Two Streets Away

Author's Note: I hope you enjoy this and thank you everyone who has been reading my work and enjoying it. I means a lot!

*****

“Ryba!” I called as I saw my friend walk out of her house.

“Hello, Anna. You’re early, I was just going-“

“Ryba this is Erik, Erik this is Ryba.” I said in a rush.

“A pleasure to meet you, um...sir.” Said Ryba, a little unsure what to call the upper class boy in front of her.

“The pleasure is all mine.” Said Erik, smiling charmingly and taking Ryba’s hand to kiss it briefly. I rolled my eyes at his gentlemanly manner, if only she knew...

Ryba, however, didn’t really care at that moment in time and was rather entranced by Erik who was talking adamantly to her about himself. “Oh, hello Anna. I wasn’t expecting-“  said Otto, coming up beside me but, before he could finish the sentence I cut in.

“Hello Otto! Yes, well, I’ll be coming with you now. Bye Erik,” I pulled Otto’s arm in an attempt to get him to come with me.

“Wait! You’re going to leave me here...on my own?”

“Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t realise you weren’t allowed out without a chaperone.” I said, sticking my tongue out and walking off, pulling Otto with me.

“What was that all about?” Said Otto, looking at me.

“Nothing.” I said, turning away. I knew I couldn’t bear to look into his eyes and tell him that. His eyes were brown, always so reassuring. Otto always knew when I was lying because I looked away from his eyes.

“Really?” He said, not sounding convinced in the slightest.

“He’s just a stuck up little brat who happens to be the son of a very wealthy customer. He’s rather irritating but nothing I can’t have some fun with.” I grinned at that.

“Oh, dear. I always start to worry when you get that look on your face.”

“You have nothing to worry about, though. I’ll never do anything to you...you’d only get me back.” I laughed.

“Of course,” said Otto, smiling. “Because I’m a scheming sort of person like you.”

“Did you see the paper this morning?” I said, remembering the story I half finished.

“Yes.” Said Otto, becoming quiet all of a sudden.

“What?”

“It’s...I – nothing.”

“Oh, really? Why don’t I believe you?”

“Probably because you know me too well.” Otto sighed “the girl who died...I knew her.”

“Who was she?” I said, horrified.

“I didn’t know her that well. She was just this little girl who we sometimes saw when went on deliveries.” Otto shrugged “she was a sweet thing, really. She only had her mother and brother, her father died from disease but she was as cheerful as anything.”

“Oh, Otto,” I said, not quite sure what to do to cheer him up so I settled for taking his hand.

“But the thing is she lived so close. Just a few streets down from me.” My blood seemed to freeze up then. So close. Someone had died so close. “That’s why I was telling you to be careful. You’ve got to be careful but...” Otto shook his head “she was killed in her sleep. She never had a chance.”

"What a way to make me feel safe.” I said shakily.

“But that’s the thing, if you feel safe, you’ll be vulnerable. But I’m sure they’ll catch him soon. They have to.”

“Yes, I’ll just...I’ll just keep telling myself that.”

*****

What a feeling it is to go to a magic show. It’s almost like what we have at the theatre. Almost. I glanced around me at the people gathering around, so many voices, so much laughter. I found myself smiling with sheer happiness. Atmosphere can only be created when everyone is feeling it together. It’s always a good event when the gypsies come. The dancers, the music and, most of all, the magician. Of all the times I’ve watched a magic show, I’ve only ever managed to figure out one trick. I’ve never understood how sleight of hand can be disguised so easily or hidden compartments are so hard to spot. “Don’t get too carried away, Anna. I know he’s a magician but the tricks aren’t real.” Said Otto, grinning.

I elbowed him in the ribs “I’m not a complete idiot you know.”

“Just a bit of one.”

Before I could respond to that statement Ryba came to sit beside us saying “I’m a little late-“

“Little?” I said “you call this a ‘little’ late? What have you been doing? I thought you were going to miss the show.”

“Oh, well,” Ryba’s cheeks coloured “your friend, Erik-“

“Please don’t tell me you like him.” I groaned “and he’s not my friend. Let’s get that straight, please.”

“Well, he’s rather nice, don’t you think?”

“No, I do not think.”

“Well that’s nothing I didn’t already know.” Otto cut in, laughing at his own joke. Ryba grinned, holding back a laugh so I sighed, looking towards the space cleared for a stage and rolled my eyes. The light was fading as day began to turn into night and a few lamps were lit around the square, the small globes of light glowing, creating a most mysterious effect.  Then, a figure walked into the clearing, his face hidden by the shadow of his hat.

“Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, and anyone else who is here tonight, gathered to watch the show. Welcome, and please prepare yourself for a spectacle you are likely never to forget.” The figure swept of his hat so that we could all see his face. Sure enough, it was Alexandur Vasilescu, the man we had spoken to not too long ago. “I have travelled across country from my home, Romania, and found myself in this lovely city of yours, Prague. Prague, my friends, is famous for its puppets, is it not? And, on that note, let us begin.”

*****

Author's Note: My apologies, I was planning on having the magic show in this chapter but all the talking and other goings on took over. But, it will be in the next one. Thanks for reading everyone - it is much appreciated :)