Chapter 23 - Blood and Burning

Author's Note: I'm still on top of the updates (thankfully) Who knows how long this will last? So make the most of it :) Thanks for all the support - enjoy!

*****

“So, you need my help?” I said, breaking the silence.

“Yes.” Said Erik, his tears gone. “I want you to come and look at something...it’s strange.”

“What?”

“I’ll explain on the way.” Erik offered me his arm but, as usual, I declined. “A puppet appeared in the dining room this morning-“

“No!” I said, shocked “a puppet appeared in my room this morning too. I’ve never seen it before in my life.”

“Maybe they’re appearing in other places as well...” Mused Erik “anyway, this puppet. It appeared and I went over to take a look. I hadn’t seen it before and I didn’t remember you giving it to me. But, the really funny thing is...well, this sounds really stupid but it has blood inside it.”

“What?” I said, a little more than horrified.

Erik shrugged “I want you to have a look at it, see if you’ve ever seen anything like it before.”

“Alright then. Won’t your parents mind? After the, um, incident. And the funeral tomorrow.”

“They couldn’t care less.”

I looked up at the sky, taking in the sheet of grey with a hint of brown. Then the occasional white spot where sunlight streaked in through the cracks. Yes. Definitely snow clouds.

*****

The Creator hummed quietly to themselves, the tune was so quiet, one couldn’t quite make it out. They hummed as they worked, carving a head here, a hand there. If you looked close enough, you’d be able to see red stains on the desk...on The Creator’s fingers. Most of it was dried, but a few patches glistened in the light, making you wonder when it had splattered there. Thread was slick with it, as The Creator stitched up clothing. That was fresh blood. Very fresh. Spilled only that morning. But who’s? Well, that remains a mystery.  Holding the puppet at arm’s length, The Creator smiled, looking at the new creation. Then, as the puppet was placed on the table, it sat up. Pulling its bloodstained strings with it. It cocked its head and looked down at its clothes, stared at its hands. Then the puppet got up and made its way to the shelf in the corner. To join its brothers and sisters.

The Creator sighed, and paused in their humming for a moment, whilst they rifled through a desk drawer. After finding some scissors, The Creator resumed humming. The tune more audible now, more present in the ears. The Creator hummed as the scissors snipped away at the fabric. Snip. Snip. Snip.

The sound of scissors was the only thing to be heard in the room. That and the lonely tune of The Funeral March, haunting the cold walls that kept the sound in, away from unwanted visitors.

*****

I felt self conscious in my worn boots and fraying cloak, as I walked down the landing in Erik’s house. Thankfully, I’d convinced him we use the servant’s entrance, to avoid stares and attention we could do without. Still, I couldn’t help but glance behind me to make sure I wasn’t leaving a trail of dirty footprints on the royal blue carpet. “Hurry up.” Said Erik who was several strides ahead of me.

“I thought this puppet was in the dining room?” I said, speeding up and falling into step with him.

“Well I couldn’t leave it there could I?” Said Erik as if this were obvious “I took it to my room.”

“You did what?” I said, my mouth hanging open “are you mad?”

“Perhaps.” Said Erik “But I couldn’t leave it downstairs for my parents or the servants to see, could I? They’d either throw it out or have a fit at the blood covered thing.”

“But your room...” I shook my head “it will murder you in your sleep.”

“Just don’t, Anna. Ok? I won’t leave it in there...I’ll get rid of it.”

“What? Move it somewhere else so it can come walking in on you in the middle of the night and slit your throat? Is that what you want?”

“Gee, Anna. Lay off it, will you? I don’t want to think about it.”

We walked into Erik’s room and I looked about me in wonder. His room must have been as half as big as my whole house. I looked over at his four poster bed with pristine white sheets and grinned internally, wondering what sort of marks my old boots would make on them. “Here it is.” Said Erik, pulling out a puppet from his drawer. I took in gingerly, trying not to look into its eyes and studied the joints where blood slowly seeped from within. It was blood, no mistake, I almost taste the metallic smell.  “I have no idea what this is, Erik.” I said, placing the puppet on top of the chest of drawers and wiping my hands on my dress. “It’s horrible. I don’t want anything to do with it.”

Erik shrugged “it’s worth a try.”

“It reminds me of when we put fake blood inside the puppets, so when they fight on stage it looks as if they bleed. They do that in real theatres as well. But...real blood? And...look how much there is!”

“What are we going to do with it?” Said Erik, fidgeting.

“Burn it.” I said “you got any salt?”

We sat in front of the grate in Erik’s room, watching the flames rise and dance about. Carefully, I placed the puppet in the midst of it all and sprinkled salt over the fire. The flames hissed at me angrily and we sat for five minutes, watching. “No green flames.” I said.

“Why trust what the gypsy said anyway?” Said Erik, looking at the blackening face of the doll.

“I have to.” I glanced at the clock on the wall. It was too late to go back now. “Quick, get it out.” I said, anxious to save the puppet before it disappeared. I had to take it to the magician somehow.

“What?” Said Erik “and you were calling me the mad one?”

“Just do it!” I said, passing him some tongues.

We watched the puppet smoke on the stone in front of the fireplace, its eyes still glassy. Its grin still wide. “Can we lock it up somewhere?” I asked “I can’t take it to the gypsies tonight.” It was already going dark outside, a few street lamps burned against the night.

“We have a safe.” Said Erik, picking up the now cooled doll and leading me out of the room.

 “There.” He said, shutting the door and twisting the combination lock. “It can’t possibly get out from there.” Neither of us wanted to say anything as we stared at the metal door of the safe. 

“Come on, I’ll get one of the servants to walk you home.” Erik said, his words breaking the silence.

*****

Author's Note: Did you feel this was rushed? I'm not sure. Perhaps I should have taken more time with it, but I didn't want it to drag on. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed this. The Creator made another appearence and, in my opinion, they just got a little creepier ;) Thanks again - I'd love to hear your thoughts!