Chapter 21 - Inside the Carriage

Author's Note: Wow, I'm so sorry. It's been such a long time. I don't really have an excuse, I suppose I have been busy but...Anyway, here is the next chapter :) Enjoy!

*****

When I arrived in the old town square I saw the gypsies carriages still standing in the same place they had been. Despite their bright colours against the steely grey sky, they seemed a little lifeless. A little lost. When you looked a little harder you realised the carriages looked old, tired. I walked up to one of them and rapped smartly on the door with my knuckles. The door swung open and I was face to face with a woman with a pinched face and long eyelashes. She wore a robe at least two sizes too big for her that was fraying at the sleeves. She scowled at me. “What?” She snapped rudely.

I was a little taken aback but quickly regained my composure “excuse me, Ma’am. But I was wondering where I might find Mr Vasilescu?”

“The one with the stars on the door,” she sniffed and looked at me disdainfully “what would you be wanting with him, anyway? I hope you’re not here to cause trouble, pesky children you are.”

“No, Ma’am. I’m sorry, I-“

“Forget it. Goodbye.” She shut the door in my face and I sighed and turned away. Spotting a blue door with gold and silver stars on, I knocked.  This time the door opened to reveal Alexandur, although I barely recognised him. Like the carriages, he looked older, tired. His eyes had a certain droop, deprived of sleep. When he saw me he tried to replace his haggard expression with a smile but it didn’t quite reach his eyes. 

“Anna, what a pleasure to see you! What brings you here on such a day?” He said as he glanced at the sky “smells like snow.” He muttered.

“Smells, sir? What does snow smell like?” I said, puzzled at his words.

“Never mind. Never mind.” Said Alexandur “what was it you wanted?”

“I...I wanted to talk to you.” I took in a breath “about...about the murders.” Just then, Mr Vasilescu’s face seemed to drop and he seemed to look even older than before. “No, no!” I said hurriedly “I don’t think you did it. I just...wonder...if we could talk.” I smiled.

Alexandur gave me a strange sort of look but he seemed relieved I wasn’t going to blame him, it looked like he’d had enough of people doing that the past few days. “I suppose you’d better come in then. It’s cold out today.”

I stepped into the carriage and looked about me. It was rather small but that was only to be expected. It wasn’t bad though. Rather than cramped, I’d call it cosy because, well, it was. With the patterned rug on the floor, the muddy boots by the door and the cloaks on a hook. Beneath cushions and a few blankets I glimpsed a well worn leather couch and next to this was a small wooden table, complete with coffee stains. I looked over to the other side of the carriage and spotted a kitchen sort of place with a cupboard full of cups and plates and a wooden table and two chairs, pieces of paper littered the table top along with a bottle of ink and several quills.

“It feels nice in here.” I said.

“It’s home. Has been for years.” I nodded and sat down on one of the couches where Alexandur gestured. “I suppose my true home has always been Romania, that’s where I was born and have travelled around most. But I like to think I take my home with me wherever I go.” He patted the side of the carriage.

“It must be nice.” I said, looking thoughtful.

“So, Anna, what exactly was it you wanted to ask me?”

“Well...” Then it struck me, I didn’t really have a question to ask. “I...the puppets. They’re killing people. I’ve seen them moving on their own and...a puppet turned up in my room this morning. It’s not someone doing it, it’s the puppets themselves. So...I just thought, maybe you know something. I’m not saying you’re behind this, but since you were accused I thought you might have looked into it.” I shrugged, realising just how odd my speech sounded, not really making much sense.

Alexandur sighed “well, Anna, I must confess I have been looking into this and...” He paused then continued “actually, let me start again. I haven’t just been looking into this. The reason I came to Prague was because of this. I hoped to sort it all out before it got out of hand...it didn’t quite work out like that.”

“What’s happening?” I said, shocked at this piece of news.

“I wish I could tell you, Anna. I haven’t all the pieces of the jigsaw yet and it’s all a bit of a mystery to me. Of all the things I expected it wasn’t this...”

“What do you know?” I was intrigued and eager to know anything  that could help me.

“I couldn’t tell you, Anna. Not all of it. It might put you in danger. All I can say is I’ve come to clear up the mess of a dead man, once a friend of mine. “

“But I’ve been trying to work this out! I-“

“Anna, do yourself a favour and keep out of this. It’s dangerous and, if you’re not careful, you’re going to get yourself killed.”

“But I’ve seen them! The puppets. They dance and-“

“My point exactly. You’re already too far in and if you go any further someone is going to find out what you’re doing and you’ll be dead the following morning. Just leave it to me, that’s why I’m here.”

“What if they lock you up? Or tell you to leave? What are you going to do then?” I said, glaring at him. “I can help you. I’ve worked with puppets all my life.”

“I’m sorry but I’m not involving you in this.” Mr Vasilescu shook his head.

“Fine.” I said, with no intention of staying out. “But what shall I do with the puppet that appeared in my room? I can’t just leave it.”

“Burn it.” Said Alexandur “with salt. Watch the flames for a while and if you see flecks of green in it, let it burn. But, if not, take it out as soon as you can and bring it here.”

I nodded, not quite understanding why I should do that but knowing I should. “Thank you, sir. For your time.”

“You’re welcome. Safe journey home, be careful.”

“I will.” I paused at the door with my cloak on and said “how do you do your tricks? I really can’t get my head around it.”

Alexandur smiled and clicked his fingers “magic.” He said as a small flame rose in his hand. I stared at the flame for a moment, blinked and then shook my head a little. What a strange world...

*****

Author's Note: Thank you everyone for staying with me and I really hope you enjoyed this :) Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!