Chapter 29 - It Came and It Went

Author's Note: Yep, I'm still here and here is the new chapter! Sorry about the wait, please, blame schools all around the world. It's their fault. Enjoy :)

Dedication: For UniGailPlusCarmen. Thank you for reading my work, thank you for reading all those chapters in one go. I really appreciate your support - thank you :)

*****

I walked home alone after my talk with Erik, despite his protestations. I didn’t need to be escorted, it was only a few minutes home. Neither of us really knew what to do with the escaped puppet. There was nothing we could do, just sit and wait.

At home I shook off my cloak and kicked off my boots, hoping my frozen toes would thaw in the heat. That was when I looked over to my bed. My heart leapt into my throat, if hearts can do that. Well, they can certainly do something because mine did when I saw the puppet sitting on my bed. It was bent over, leaning against the headboard. Long black hair fell over its face, contrasting shockingly with its white dress. Gingerly, I made my way over, my hand hovering over the body, debating whether or not to touch it. I bit back my fear and picked up the thing, brushing its hair aside and looking at its face, only to discover it didn’t have one. I shivered and carried the doll out of the room, thinking it to be one of my uncle’s unfinished works. The workshop was dark and I set the puppet down on the work bench before making my way back up to my room.

It was there again.

The puppet sat on my bed, its head tilted towards me but no expression was to be found on its face.My heart pounded as I darted from my room and knocked on Pavel’s bedroom door. “Uncle, there’s a puppet in my room. Did you put it there?”

“Yes, I did put one there actually. I thought you might like to finish it off, just a few more touches.”

“Ah, thank you. I was just wondering. Goodnight,” I smiled and closed the door, heading back to my room only to find the puppet gone. I froze for a moment, my breathing stopped. But I managed to gather my wits and get ready for bed. Whatever was going on, I’d seen enough of it. There was nothing I could do now the puppet was gone. All I could do was get to bed.

It was the middle of the night I think. Well, it was dark and cold and I was tired. Those were clues enough for me. I pulled the sheets closer around my body, shivering a little and closing my eyes. I stayed like that for a few moments when a noise broke the silence. A sound met my ears.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

Blearily, I opened my eyes, scanning my room. Nothing. I sighed, settling back down.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

Oh, how I wished that tapping would stop. “Leave me alone...” I murmured, rolling over.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

I didn’t stir. Perhaps I should have. Perhaps I should have looked. Maybe things would have been easier then.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

Maybe things would have never happened.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

The noise stopped. Just as I was about to fall back into my dreamland I felt something cold touch my foot. I froze. Then, a scrabbling sound. It grabbed me. Wooden hands grabbing me. I sat bolt upright, drawing my feet into me and whimpering softly.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

Scratch.

A dark shape hauled itself up onto the foot of my bed, dark hair hanging down over its face. My throat closed up as I tried to scream, not a sound made it past my lips. My hand drifted over towards the lamp on my bedside table, my body shook. A thick yellow light spread across the room and I squinted against it.

The puppet.

I could see it more clearly now, crawling over to me on hands and knees, face hidden.

Have you ever been so scared your head hurts? So scared that tears that were forming in your eyes stop like your heart? So scared that you can’t even shake anymore, time stops. A moment drags on forever. No, not a moment. Something longer. The moment stops, time stops. Only the puppet moved. But so slowly. So painfully slow.

The thing stopped. It fell. Collapsed on my thighs. Lay still. Time rushed back to me. The cold air on my face, my shaking body, irregular pulse. I knocked the puppet onto the floor and screwed my eyes shut, half hoping it would have done a disappearing act like last time.

But it hadn’t.

I looked at the puppet, sprawled out on my floor, limbs tangled and its hair...its hair lay back, exposing its face.

Oh, it’s face!

No longer was it expressionless. Black eyes were wide, staring. A mouth gaping open. Blood dripped from the corner. It blinked. That’s when my voice returned to me and I let out a scream, it faltered in the middle where a sob escaped me.

My lamp burned out and I sobbed, whimpering pitifully.

Then nails and teeth digging into the back of my neck, I screamed again, the sound travelling throughout the house. Or at least, I hoped. Somehow, I ended up on the floor, a mess, a wreck. All I could think of was the puppet. Where was it? Where-

“Anna?” A voice. A kind voice. Oh dear lord, save me please.

“Uncle,” I sobbed. Arms. Warm arms. “Pavel,” I hung onto him, not daring to open my eyes.

“What happened?” He asked, his voice full of concern, “Anna, what happened?”

“The puppet...the puppet happened.”

“What...Anna, what?”

“I came after me. It’s alive.” He had to believe me. He had to.

“Anna, I think you had a bad dream. Come now, let’s get you to bed,” he helped me across the room, ignoring my protests, and tucked me in. “Here, I’ll stay until you fall asleep.” I glanced past him to the floor, seeing no sign of the puppet. “There’s nothing there Anna, go to sleep.” Reluctantly, I closed my eyes, a few stray tears still escaping my lids. Perhaps it was all a dream...

*****

Author's Note: Ahh! Well, I hope this was a rather unsettling chapter. I was going to leave it as a cliff hanger but that would have been cruel, right? And I'm not cruel...well, you can make your minds up about that later in the story :) No, I'm not hinting at anything...

Anyway! I hope you liked this and even though it's been a while I hope you're still reading and I hope to hear your thoughts - thanks for sticking with me!

P.S. The puppet with the black eyes and gaping mouth is the one on my cover if you were wondering what the cover was all about :)