Beauty Marked part 6

Freedom. That one word I’ve longed to possess longer than I can remember. Now even though I was away from the grounds, I still didn't feel...free. I had escaped the guards for now but I would not really be able to experience the bliss of the word until I found refuge. Bernard would help me; I knew he would. Sure its been awhile since he's seen me, but I was hopeful he would recognize me. If only I knew where he was.

I scanned my surroundings through the dark. The night pulling a curtain over my eyes.  Trees surrounded me from every angle and the stars above were not giving off nearly as much light as I thought they would. I was glad for my cloak, indeed it was colder outside than I had thought, though felt more invigorating than bothersome. I had almost forgotten I was still escaping until I heard a crunch of leaves to my side. My breathing stopped and I froze instantly. My anxiety came forth as I cautiously scanned my surroundings. Was it a guard? Something dangerous? That was one thing I hadn’t planned on- some way to protect myself from being lunch.

As I tried to make a retreat from the sound, stepping back and it was too late. Whatever hid in the brush lunged forward causing me to fall back. A small white bunny hopped out of the brush, wiggling it’s nose and didn’t seem the least bit scared of me. I just stared at it, and almost laughed. Well now I felt foolish.. and sore. As I looked back to examine the damage on my rear I noticed fire lights through the trees. The village!

Quickly getting up and, I looked back towards the rabbit with a smile as it scurried away after I rose to my feet, secured my bag and headed towards the town. Adrenaline and excitement lead my feet there faster than I had anticipated and before I knew it I was walking into the midst of the small town. A well lit by a few torches lay at it’s center. A plethora of small shops lay everywhere; the torch firelight lighting only certain areas. I don’t know what I was expecting walking along the cobblestone walkways. But... There was no one.

I had forgotten I left in the middle of the night, not many would be up at this time. I looked around the town and my eyes fixed upon a two story building with lights aglow and music from within. Who would be up this late? At this point it didn’t matter. Certainly in the town everyone knew each other? Maybe they could tell me where I could find Bernard?

I read the sign before I stepped inside the lit building, “Golden Goat Inn and Pub.” That seemed like a funny name. Whoever owned it must’ve had a great sense of humor, that or not much wit for names. I stepped inside and looked around; rustic wood provided a warm and cozy haven from the cold. Several men were seated around the small dining room in front of a bar stocked with bottles of all different sizes. No one behind it.

I was relieved that there were so many people at this time of night. Four men were playing cards, a man playing a guitar off to the side, and another man in the corner with a hood over his face. All of them had bottles in front of them either empty or half drank. The hooded stranger caught my attention, I didn’t know what it was, just the mystery about him? As I caught myself staring, the music had stopped- and I broke free from whatever spell I was under.

“Can we help you?”  A Redhead playing cards asked a bit on edge. Had I intruded? I then realized I was also a hooded stranger just walking in, and lowered my hood. “My apologies, I’m looking for Bernard?” The room froze for a moment- something palpable in the air. For a moment I thought they were all going to disregard me like everyone had on the grounds, but they seemed to jump up all at once, surprising me. “Whoa, Bernard? Don’t you think you’re a bit too young for him?”  “Um, no it’s nothing like that- Do you know where he is?” “Hey Doll let me buy you a drink. He’ll come round eventually.” The younger redhead offered to me and extending his hand and I couldn’t help but move back slightly, not knowing what to do with myself. I wouldn’t feel safe until I found him.