Beauty marked part 23

~Marked Kingdom Main entrance~

The land of the marked, kingdom of the accursed was more beautiful than I could have ever imagined. Not because marked were “dark beings: as everyone else seemed to believe, no. I didn’t believe any of that horse dung for a single moment.It was how much they had managed to accomplish in the 30 years since they were cast away. After losing everything the brilliance of rebuilding something to surpass what was lost.

Massive walls to keep intruders at bay with large wooden gates to match the intimidating size. Making being able to enter the city alone feel grand. Within the large walls was a town, a city at that; made up of hundreds of houses and shops as we passed by on horse. The sun kissing the lands in its morning rays, made it look even glorious in the rising sun.

It looked much like the hub of our kingdom. The ruler Lord Andros had done a bang up job to accomplish this much; that was for certain. I had started to wonder if I was the first human ever permitted past their grand walls. Lead by the Lord’s son no less and all because of my precious daughter; I was truly blessed. How I wished she were with me now to witness all of this. I imagined her eyes widening and her wonder shining in her beautiful brown and green eyes I fell in love with when I first saw her as a baby.

The thought of my blessing diminished...Elise. I had had not seen her,held her, or spoken with her since our disagreement. She was becoming all I could think about, I needed her. Her hair, her smile, her eyes, the beauty she has become. Was it wrong of me to find her so stunning, and wish that I had been a much younger man for her? I shook it off, it was my need for her talking.

My fatherly worries started to settle once more diving into panic. Where was she? Could she be in harms way? Is she alone? Can she defend herself? It all made me push the horse I had rode tirelessly throughout the night and the caravan that followed, through the town.Devlin rode next to me and looked me over. “Amazing what he’s created isn’t it? This is what awaits Elise, the world she rightfully belongs to,”clearly proud of his heritage. “I have no doubts that she will be happy here.” I conceded. Devlin smiled lightly, “Nor do I. My father awaits us, for your own sake, please remember what I have said. As a human, your status of duke only puts you just above a servant here.” I nodded in understanding, they must have had a large vendetta against all humans here.

I couldn’t say that I blamed them. but I hoped that I would be able to see if Lord Andros was more like myself, wanting to bridge the gap, educate the uninformed and reunite our worlds. So that perhaps me and my sweet Elise could stay together. “I have nothing but the utmost respect for Lord Andros, I look forward to meeting him; he did a fine job of raising you, I have no doubts he will treat Elise with the same care.”I reassured. Devlin looked away and up ahead. A large palace lay ahead on a hill just above the rest of the town, to be seen by all. Not so grand as to boast, but to be seen as a beacon of hope for alI, like a neighbor always there.

.Determination gleamed in Devlin’s eyes, “Yes, just remember what I said. Perhaps you’d like to rest before meeting him?” “No!” I bit back a little too fiercely. “I...I need to know about Elise, I can’t rest until I at least have some information.” Devlin’s face was unreadable, “As you wish, Elise will be our first priority of course. Do take care though, so Elise doesn’t have to worry when she returns to you? Relax and worry about yourself, I assure you I will take the utmost care for when she returns to you.”

I was my last concern. she was all I could think about and knowing that she wasn’t near me just made me angry, short tempered and anxious. But he was right. She would be with me again soon and I would know Elise’s whereabouts when I saw the lord.That would have to be enough for now. If I couldn’t have her...then I at least had to know that.

~Marked Kingdom, The lord’s palace~

Everything was falling into place. I had done everything Arid had instructed. My son sent to Duke McClain and possessing everything he owns-not a difficult task given the man practically willed the same of himself with the marked he’d taken in. How such a thing could happen, the fates were playing in our favor. We would have him and his lands, then Arid would instruct on the next part of our redemption.

I grew impatient wondering why Devlin had not returned yet- surely with his incubus charms he’d received from his mother the girl would swoon, the duke taken a liking and all would be said and done. “Arid,” I called. She walked beside me as I gazed to the horizon. “Where is my son; Is he returning successful?” The woman with hair as red as fire beneath her cloak shut her already closed eyes tighter in concentration. “Your son does return, he will be soon with the duke and the security of his lands.” I relaxed, pleased with the news. “Then how do we continue? What is the next step for our redemption?”

Arid kept a straight face and eyes closed as always, “We can not.” She said monotone.

“What do you mean we can’t?”I asked in a firm voice, my anger rising. “Your son had procured the lands and the duke, but not everything the duke holds dear.” I glared at the sun rise. “What did he not procure?” “The marked daughter of the duke is not with them.” Arid said easily. “The girl? It’s no matter then, she isn’t what you said was needed so it’s not crucial that we have her. So I’ll ask you again- how do we continue?”

Arid opened her eyes. A threat. I dared not look, it was too dangerous to look into a soothsayers eyes. “Everything the duke holds dear… the girl is the essential piece.” I pushed myself away from the window, “What!? A marriage between her and my son is needed?” The soothsayer Arid reclosed her eyes. “A marriage will not lead to redemption nor impede it” I stayed silent waiting for more, Arid already knew and obliged. “She is special, a mix of worlds and leads to the ultimate gift.” I thought on her words, always subtle and cryptic, never a straight answer. To think that this girl would be necessary at all? Seemed foolish.

However, I dared not doubt Arid’s word. It was due to her that I was ruler of these lands and accomplished as much as I had. To create a world for us where no human could ever speak against. It was because of her we would have our revenge and be rest assured victory against the spineless humans. And it would all start...with this girl. “Then what’s to be done?”I asked in an even tone.

“They arrive with the rising of the sun. the duke draws near both ends. The marked angel eases one end. False fatherly emotions bind them.” I tried to put the pieces together. “Duke duke holds his daughter dear, and would be eased by her..the girl- is a marked angel?” I asked, “She leads to the ultimate gift.” Arid concluded.

This was certainly a turn of events. I had never heard of a combination, and knew of all my subjects- or at the very least pressumed I did. Perhaps with the girl on our side and using the duke we could convince the protectors of heaven themselves to aid us. I would find out soon enough what Arid’s words truly meant, but first- we needed to find the girl. Which my son fooslishly lost.

No doubt forgetting his reasoning for being there in the first place. Young, reckless, unfit to be a leader and king as of yet. “Where is the girl?” I asked losing my patience. The sun rose to burn my dark eyes with its blinding light, but I did not care. “Many questions today my lord,” Arid commented before closing her eyes tight in concentration once more. “A thief of purple iris leads her close.”

I glared and turned my back to the sun. “A thief of purple iris you say? Did the thief steal a purple iris, or perhaps wears one- because you certainly didn’t mean to tell me that a man from that family is leading her?” Arid stayed silent as my anger boiled over at the thought of those-things. “That a man with purple eyes is leading the only thing keeping us from our redemption!?” Arid nodded and spoke evenly,”He is different. and could be friended from foe.”

I sighed heavily trying to discipate my anger. “And where is the purple-eyed man now?” Arid smiled then, she rarely smiled. “To the lord of marked he comes, seeking reward.” I let the information seep into my skin. The girl was being lead by this thing- this traitor… and he was leading her to me? I laughed audibly. This couldn’t be going better than I could have ever hoped! Redemption was within my grasp. All I would have to do now, is wait.

*Not edited but enjoy the update!! much more to come soon! thank you for your patience*