Beauty Marked part 21

~Elise’s room in Succubus house~

Light from the doorway awoke me from my deep slumber. My eyes cringed at the intrusion and I reluctantly flickered them open. However, when I did I saw the retreating figure of the girl that had greeted us here, with Talus holding the door. I stayed frozen and in mere moments, they had both left. Talus following after her.

"A succubus lives off the touch of another, the more intimate the more energy we gain from them" menas words played in my head. Was Talus in danger? Did I dare follow them? He didn't seem to be going against his will in any way. Then the thought hit me that he wanted to go with her. The two had kissed on our arrival and he had said she tried to enslave him. Clearly it hadn’t worked but if that was the case why would he go now? Images of the two cuddled together invaded my mind. My body grew hot, my stomach plunged and I almost felt sick. Why? Why did those thoughts make me feel so horrible?

I had already been through this in my head a hundred times. Yes, he was handsome, but he clearly didn't care about me, just the money and our deal. So I wouldn’t even think twice about him. Despite the couple moments we had in the forest- that meant nothing.Then, why was I getting out of bed and walking to the door to follow them? Why did I walk barefoot among the warm dimly lit hallways searching for them? And why...why did it hurt so much when I did see them together?

They had stopped in the hall and I stayed far back; several yards away watching as her lips were pressed passionately on his. Talus just standing there. Was he refusing her? I started feeling strangely hopeful. Until she wrapped her arms around him and made the kiss even deepe., Talus' hands reaching to caress her touch- I had had enough. I couldn't watch anymore.

What was I doing thinking about any of this anyways? I was a fool. I knew nothing of the world of marked, and I knew nothing about Talus. For all I knew the two were already close. Maybe they were even together. The pace to return to my room quickened at the thought. I just wanted to lie back in bed, and tell myself it had all been a dream. That girl was a succubus and had kissed him, more than once. Was he willingly letting her take his energy- when he wouldn’t let me close at all? I didn’t want to hurt him. I was scared of what Mena said I could do. Though he didn’t seem to be in any discomfort from that girl's advances.

Once returning to my room the thoughts robbed me of my sleep. Was he spoken for? Did he have someone that my errands were keeping him from? Was I being ultimately selfish? I didn't know. All I knew was that I wanted to understand everything going on. I looked at my hands, and was surprised to find their glow growing even fainter, the tiredness overtaking me yet again. But some nagging feeling at the back of mind wanted to know that he was back safe in my room, our room. Yet I loathed what foolish thing I might say when he returned but even those thoughts couldn’t stop me from succumbing to sleep once more.

~Mena’s room

I didn’t know what to expect from the succubus leader, but you better believe that I was on my guard. She hadn’t changed out of her black robe and tossed her sandy locks as I walked into the room; her closing the door behind me. “What is this about?” I asked trying to get to the point “Please take a seat.” she ordered in a polite tone. Though I had just taken energy from the succubus Rae yet again, Mena’s energy was absolutely potent. However, I found myself in full control only feeling the power that she had. She was not trying to use it on me. With reluctance I sat in one of the chairs in the reading area in her room.

Mena followed suit and sat across from me her golden eyes boring into mine- searching for something. I was good at hiding things, this lady had no clue who she was dealing with.“Let me begin by answering with another question, Why are you here?” Mena said flatly “We told you why I am here, I’m here as Elise’s guide.” Mena smiled,”Come now, you really expect me to believe that? I can sense your innermost desires, and you are not with her just for that.” I scowled “What are you getting at?” “The truth. Elise now knows what she is, she is a succubus. One of our kind. Kept away from us her whole life and by great fortunes has returned to us. Yet, you still plan on taking her from us, where?” She could sense my inner wants. The one thing I couldn’t protect myself from. It made me wonder if Elise will be gaining that ability soon.