Beauty Marked part 4

In Gren's study~

"I do apologize for my daughter's behavior, she's never usually like this." Gren apologized. Devlin merely smiled back and gave a slight bow, before taking a seat in the plush leather chair before Gren's intricately carved wooden desk. The candle light reflecting off his dark hair and chiseled features. "Completely understandable, she had no idea about the arrangement; it would only be natural for her to be a bit hesitant."

Gren seemed grateful for Devlin's understanding and showed him his appreciation with a small nod, taking a seat himself his books and formal papers a small barrier between them on his desk. "Well she should be here within the moment and we can all talk this out a bit further." Devlin nodded in agreement, a smile struggling to stay hidden at the thought of seeing her again. "Yes, it's amazing how you've been able to maintain her sweet innocence; Of course she may not understand the full situation due to that, but I am more than happy with helping to make her understand."

Gren nodded, not understanding the full meaning of Devlin's words and for that Devlin was pleased. Gren's clear appreciation evident in his relieved smile. "Thank you." Devlin returned it slightly, "Oh, it is my pleasure." Gren looked at him a moment, analyzing him, "I must know, I didn't expect you to respond so quickly to my letter, why did you?" Devlin looked away from him, seemingly looking around the room a moment, at the quaint bookcases filled with hard covers and leather bound texts before responding.

"My father wants me to settle down, and he is interested in the lands around this area." Gren looked at him curiously, "But surely many have sent similar calls for their daughters, why answer mine?" Devlin couldn't help but smile. "None have been of the innocence or beauty you described in your letter. Also with her being marked, she belongs with her own kind." Gren's smile fell but he nodded agreeing. "I do believe most of the people in this area have almost forgotten about her existence, but I rather she be protected by people who can truly do so."

No matter how much Gren wanted her being Marked to be accepted in society, the sad truth was that she wouldn't be, and he didn't know if that would ever change within his lifetime- it wasn't fair to keep Elise locked up forever, and he knew it.

At that moment there was a knock upon the door, "Ah yes, here she is now. Enter." Gren allowed, trying to keep his voice polite. Gren and Devlin both stood expecting Elise to enter Devlin with a charming smile to greet her with and Gren hoping that she would understanding and see what it was he was trying to do for her. When Rigter opened the door alone, Gren's face fell.

"Where is Elise? Why isn't she with you?" Rigter bowed his head. "Master Gren, Elise...she is not feeling well at this time." Devlin glared at this servant, clearly unable to do his job, but he held his tongue waiting for Gren's reaction. "Not feeling well?" Gren thought back to earlier, and the conversation he and Elise had. Clearly she was upset and not wanting to speak to either of them, Gren was kind but he was no fool.

"Clearly she seems to be avoiding the situation at hand." Devlin declared, "And you just let her?" He looked at the servant accusingly. Rigter looked at the ground, avoiding Lord Devlin's gaze, and trying not to show his frustration, slightly glaring at the polished wooden floor, tempted to play with the tassels of the plush rug upon it, but dared not to move from his formal stance, or show any signs of weakness especially with the "guest" here. Last thing that he wanted was for this random lord that showed up to get him kicked out of the grounds. "It is not Rigter's fault- I have ordered them not to speak to Elise more than necessary." Gren defended

Devlin looked from this servant Rigter to Gren, "Would you not agree that this is somewhat necessary?" Gren sighed and stood. "She is overwhelmed, give her some time, she will cool down and come to her senses. Then we can discuss it further." Devlin had a sudden change in his disposition and smiled at Gren, "Perhaps you would like me to go speak with her? Give her another chance to show me around? Perhaps I can explain how beneficial this arrangement would be for her."