Beauty Marked part 13

*Mid-town*

The sun was rising and there was no sign of Lady Elise to be seen anywhere. My skills of searching were more than likely no match for that of Lord Devlin Kensington. But Master Gren, the man I regarded so highly almost like a father- I could never let him down. I was being treated more than the servant I was, and I wouldn't let that lead to disappointment. There was one person who I could ask about her whereabouts, maybe Devlin was right and Elise had gotten curious and went into town. If that was the case one man knew about her and may be able to help me.

I headed to the Golden Goat to speak with Bernard. It had been a while since he had visited Master Gren, but I was sure that he’d remember me as I was always by my master’s side, and often refilled their ale when they shared stories by the fire, catching up. They were kind enough to treat me as equal, let me listen and drink with them. Though, I never took more than a glass. The sun rose higher into the sky as I got into town and reached my destination. People were abuzz with gossip I ignored going straight into the bar. Bernard was leaning on the counter, head in his hands-he looked ragged. “Bernard?”

His eyes were red as he lifted his face to me. “Rigter? That you? Well you’ve grown into quite the man haven’t you? Barely recognized you.” It was comforting to hear, but now wasn’t the time to catch up. “Bernard what’s wrong?” He sighed heavily and looked around- bar empty. He went to the front door and locked it. “I assume you’re here to ask about her.”

My attention was grabbed instantly, why would he say that at all unless- “So you have seen her?” I asked hopeful. Bernard scoffed and went back to hiding his eyes with his palm. “I should have known better, to keep a better watch over her. I checked her room this morning and she was gone.” “Her room? Wait what happened?”

Bernard walked past me and went to the counter showing me to a seat, and I obliged. Apparently this could take a while. “She came to me day before yesterday in the middle of the night, told me about the arrangements Gren made for her and that she didn’t want to go back until the boy had left. I figured it wouldn’t cause too much harm for her to be away for a day but...” He looked away

I gripped my seat, now my fear for her grew”But what? Why would she leave? Did something happen?” Bernard looked me straight in the eye. “What do you think of Marked?”I paused at that. I knew that Lady Elise was, but she was the only marked I’d ever known, even hearing the reputation of them. I couldn’t agree with society about them as I had nothing to base an opinion on. “Why do you ask?” Bernard held his gaze. “I need to know if I can trust you Rigter.”

I looked at the counter, “Lady Elise is the only Marked I’ve ever come into contact with. I’ve never known if it is my own will, or her power. But every time I’m near her my heart pounds, my brow sweats, and I can barely breathe or speak. When she says my name I feel as though I could soar and those eyes-” “Have changed” Bernard interrupted. “Her eyes have changed?” I was both confused, and somewhat saddened at the same time. I didn’t understand how that could happen, or why I was sad as I pictured those beautiful Hazel orbs with gold specks fading away.

 “Her true power has been released. By being away from people she has been able to keep her power contained, especially without the knowledge of what it is, Hell we all aren’t even sure to this day, only running on a hunch. She affects people’s hearts Rigter, and she probably has affected you as well.” I sat and thought about his words.

 Did I feel used? Angry? No, she had no idea what she was capable of, and didn’t do anything purposefully or with malicious intent. So I couldn’t be upset. I just wanted to find her, for my master. Bernard observed me as I contemplated this. “She now has golden eyes, but as to where she went... I have no idea.” I looked at the window; the sun was high in the sky now. “Lord Devlin should be beginning his search by now.” “His search? He’s going to look for Elise as well?” Bernard asked.