Beauty Marked part 5

It was decided, I would spend the next few days staying as far away from Lord Devlin as I could, and figure out a way to sneak away in the meantime. I didn't want to be anywhere near him; never before had a man come so close to me.  I knew though that those shivers I got of disgust were reserved just for him. I felt it in my gut.  I started to feel guilty about sending Rigter to lie on my behalf. He didn't seem that bad of a guy certainly nothing like Lord Devlin. Unfortunately, Rigter seemed scared of me more than anything.. I slowed my packing at the thought.

My thoughts were broken when I heard a knock on my door.  It was starting to become late, who would come by now? I opened the door surprised "Rigter?" As always he stay looking at the ground. My heart sank upon seeing him. Did I get him in trouble? Did he come to say his goodbyes? "I hope you didn't get into too much trouble" he was all business, ignoring my worry for his behalf "M'lady the master would like you to be ready to depart in the morning"

My concern for his well being ceased almost instantly along with my breath. I knew my father liked him. I had seen him around and usually by my father’s side, but Rigter had just never really spoken to me and definitely never looked at me or made eye contact. I mean after years of seeing him I just learned his name! But all of those thoughts were gone as soon as I realized what he said.

"Depart? Where are we going?" Still he looked away from me and I saw his hesitance. "They- I am not at liberty to say" he knew, and he wanted me to know, I could tell he didn't want to lie to me. Otherwise he already would have. So why wouldn't he tell me? Was I really that bad of a person that they wanted to send me away? So horrid that he couldn't even look at me? I couldn't stop myself from stepping towards him, subconsciously seeking some sort of comfort from these thoughts

Rigter instantly flinched away from me, stepping back, as if confirming my worst fears. "Am I really so terrible?" I whispered, really only asking myself; I didn't expect Rigter to respond. I was surprised when he finally looked at me trying hard to hold back my tears. Why the one time he looks at me did I have to feel so weak? "N-no M'lady you absolutely are not."  His comfort seemed both genuine, and full of pity. My frustration got the better of me and my inner thoughts made a dash for my lips before I could stop them. "Then why will no one look me in the eyes anymore? Why are they taking me who knows where and without even telling me?"

The pity and sympathetic look upon his face made it harder to hold back my tears, but still I refused to let them leak. “They have moved the wedding.” My ears perked at that. If they moved it maybe Lord Devlin was put off by my behavior, or maybe father knew how upset I was with him and was giving me a lot more time. Maybe I wouldn’t have to go through with this wedding after all? I wiped the nearing tears from my eyes. “Moved it?” But with one sentence Rigter crashed my whole world. “The ceremony shall be taking place in 2 days time..” he said barely above a whisper.

I couldn’t hold back my shock, “What? They can’t do that!?” Father knew how upset I was with him, why would he push me even further into marrying that low-life jerk of a … ugh! I looked to Rigter, obviously he felt for my situation; otherwise he wouldn’t have had that look on his face for me.He wouldn’t have told me the truth, and more than anything he didn’t seem surprised by my outburst.

Rigter suddenly looked like a possible savior. I took hold of his arm and got closer to him in desperation. “Please Rigter, can’t you say something?” He seemed to be lost looking at me- as if thinking about something else entirely, so I got closer, I needed him to hear me. “Can you tell them I’m too sick for travel? Something? Anything?"

Rigter just froze looking into my eyes with that same almost vacant expression. His eyes clouded in a way I hadn’t seen anyone look at me before. Startling me he quickly shut his eyes and shook his head, grasping my arms tightly and pushing me away from him. “I-I’m sorry M’lady... I can not.” I’d pushed him too far and was asking too much. Surely if he didn’t hate me before he did now. Having him lie for me not once, but asking him to do it again, I felt low.