Chapter 23

The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.
-Mahatma Ghandi
________________________________________________________________

"Okay. Everything's set we're just waiting for you" Afra's voice came by the door.

I dropped the picture frame I was staring at. "Okay. I'll be there in a minute" she left and I walked out of Akram's room and headed for mine. The room was empty as all the guests who were occupying it were outside waiting to take me to my house and they'd leave soon after. I looked around the room I'd spent the last six months in. Some of those months were the darkest my life had seen. I remembered each time I felt like my life was over, each time I cried myself to sleep and then each time I collapsed on this bed engulfed in thoughts about a certain someone.

"Everyone's outside waiting to take you to your home"

I turned around to face Maama who was standing by the door a sad smile on her face.

"This will always be home" I corrected her then informed her of what I was doing "I was just checking if I forgot anything"

"Don't worry about that. All your stuff are at your house. I supervised the move myself" she said walking in, "And if you've forgotten something just call. I'll send it to you"

"Okay" I walked forward to meet her in the middle of the room where I hugged her and she hugged me back instantly.

"Take care of yourself alright?" I nodded at her instructions. "And if that boy of mine does anything wrong; you tell me immediately. I'll whip his ass"

I laughed stepping back a little

"I'm serious" she said. "You're my daughter. And we don't keep secrets from each other"

"I know" I said moving in to hug her again where she kissed my forehead.

"Now let's go. Let me walk you out"

We walked out of the house hand in hand and she helped me into the car where Afra, Aisha and Fauzia were in waiting for me. I smiled at her as she closed the door and stood waving as the fleet of cars began moving out the house.

I'd miss her so much

XXX

"When your beau gets here..." Fauzia grinned emphasizing on the word, "You tell him we said goodnight"

I ignored her teasing and hugged her. It was really nice to have her around. Before Afra, Fauzia was the closest thing I had to a best friend. We had grown together and played together before life had gotten in the way and we had grown grown apart for some time. I knew though, that we had bridged that distance in these past 10 days since she'd arrived. "Goodnight" she waved then got into the passenger seat. I waved at her brother Ishaq as the car pulled out of the house. It was 10pm and the house was almost completely cleared out except for my dedicated cleaners. I responded to the greeting of the two men that carried the food warmers that food was brought in for the guests today out to the car. They were working according to Afra's instructions. She had been supervising the cleaning of the house and Aisha was assisting her. I went around and got into the house through the kitchen.

"I am sooo stupid" Aisha said suddenly

"Well I already knew that" I laughed. "But what for this time?"

"I was supposed to hitch a ride with Ilham and she already left" she said referring to her friend she had introduced me to earlier, "I didn't even notice" she rolled her eyes. "I guess I have to take a cab"

"I can't let you take a cab it's 10pm" I disagreed instantly. I tried to figure out how I'd get her home. And Akram wasn't here; I hadn't seen him all day. He was with his friends I supposed and with all the goodbyes I was busy saying I hadn't even gotten time to call or text him. I had no idea where my phone was in fact. "Spend the night here" I said to her. Afra came into the kitchen instructing the maids to arrange the ceramic plates inside the food warmers so they wouldn't break.