Chapter 2

"Maheen!"

I hurried into the living room where Nasir was calling my name as though I owed him money.

"Yes?" I answered with a forced sweet smile. Maybe if I act sweet he'll let Amir go to school and not slaughter me for going against his word.

He eyed the smile on my face then spoke, "My guests coming tomorrow, I hope you do not embarrass me in any way. They're high class people. I hope you can manage" he said his voice echoing disgust

"I am not illiterate you know," I said trying to keep the anger out of my voice. "I can keep up with your political discussions" I said forcing an even larger smile

He rolled his eyes, "Very well" and turned back to the TV; his way of dismissing me. I went forward and sat on the empty space of the two sitter couch he was on and held his hand in mine.

I felt incredibly stupid

When he looked at me, his expression was asking if I was crazy.

"Nasir" I said in my most feminine voice. "Please let Amir go to school. He's looking forward to it"

He stared at me for a while, his expression smiling.

Phew

Then that smile grew bigger in an instant and he burst out laughing. It was my time to frown in confusion.

"What the hell were you doing?" he asked amidst laughter "What, was that supposed to change my mind?" he continued howling to my utter embarrassment. When he stopped; he looked at me, "Now get off of this chair you shameless woman. Am I your age mate? Or do I look like someone who'd sit next to a person like you? Get off!"

I stood up and hurried out the room. Years ago when I started living with this man and he showed me new ways to humiliate me, I thought I could never be caught off guard by him again.

I was wrong.

I left the room seething. Angry at myself and I walked upstairs in shame.

What was I doing? I was disgusted with myself. How on earth did I think I would pull of....charming such a man? Thinking the word inside me made me barf in my own mouth.

Five years with this man and I didn't know better than to do the nonsense I did down there. I slowly went into my room, I couldn't stop Amir from going to school. So what if his father didn't permit it?

XXX

"Place this carefully in the car," I instructed the driver as I handed over the trays of sandwiches I woke up early to make for Amir. Amir was having his cereal inside the house and I wish he would gulp it down faster and leave for school before his father wakes up. I hurried back into the house to see Amir sitting comfortably in the dining chair I left him, swinging his legs and his bowl of flakes still full.

"I thought I asked you to hurry up" I chastised, "Now open your mouth" I said and began spoon feeding him quickly so that he leaves.

"Ma slow down. I'm going to choke" he said then spit out the content on his shirt.

"Why would you do that?" I dropped the bowl back on the table and began wiping the stain with my hand but realized it was of no use. His white school shirt now had a stain just around the breast pocket. "This isn't going to come off. Let's go. You have to wear a new shirt now." I stood up, "Hurry up"

"Ma" his small voice began as I pulled him along upstairs to change his shirt. "Why are you rushing me, I'm not even late"

"And how do you know you're not late?"

"Because the Fairly Odd parents has not started yet. I leave every day when the show is on"

I shook my head. "Of course you'll time yourself with the TV"

He laughed and I placed my hand over his mouth to quiet him as we were passing Nasir's bedroom so he wouldn't wake him up and I pulled Amir into my room and gently closed the door then locked it behind me.

"Why are you closing my mouth?" he spoke from underneath my hand his lips brushing against my hand and tingling me. I laughed then took them off. I led him towards the cupboard and unbuttoned his shirt, took it off of him and replaced it with a new clean shirt.

"Now hurry up and get going. The driver is waiting for you downstairs"

He nodded and headed out then stopped when he laid his eyes on a box of cookies. I got them for him when I went out shopping on Saturday but forgot to give them to him since then.

"I want to eat those" he pointed

"You need to get to school. You'll have them later"

"Please" he grinned and I rolled my eyes.

"Nice try buddy, but you have to get to school" I said ignoring the side of me asking to give into his demand. "Let's go" I started pushing him towards the door

"I love you" he said his grin still intact.

I shook my head. "I love you too but you're still not getting those cookies. Now lets go!" I successfully got him out of the room and put my hand over his mouth like I did earlier for the same reason. Once we were by the staircase he licked my hand and I quickly took it off. He laughed as I jokingly glare at him then he runs down the stairs ignoring my warnings. He hurries off outside and I rush after him only coming out of the house in time to see him enter the car.

The driver laughed at Amir's antics and closed the door after him. He nodded out of respect at me before getting into the driver's seat and starting the car. Just then Amir's head popped out of the car through the window and he waved at me as the car started.

"Put your head back in the car!" I commanded

He laughed ignoring what I was saying and continued waving, a big smile on his face. I shook my head and couldn't stop myself from laughing then waved back too.

"Village boy" I said out loud but only I could hear it.

Once the car was out of sight I turned and went back into the house, happy Amir had successfully gone. Now, I had to get back to work and wait for Nasir's wrath to descend on me.