Chapter 19

Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.

– Maya Angelou

_______________________________________________________________________________

"Why don't you go after them" Maama suggested pointing at Akram and Ahmad that went to get bottled water to drink, "Get the juice you said you wanted"

"It's okay" I shook my head. I'd rather stay thirsty than meet him.

Afra surprisingly hadn't shown any signs of being upset with me since the previous night. I figured out she knew about us; i use the term us loosely since there isn't an 'us'.

"I can't wait to get back home" she slumped against the airport seat beside me. "I'm going to sleep for twelve hours. Shopping has taken all of my energy"

I smiled and nodded unable to say anything.

"Here"

I felt my heartbeat double its rate at his voice as he stood right in front of me.

"You asked for water right?" he asked Afra

I relaxed a bit knowing he wasn't talking to me and I looked the other way.

"Yeah"

He walked away after handing her what he got for her and I watched him stride towards an empty seat a bit far away from all of us. I watched him sit and his eyes locked with mine. He promptly looked away and turned his attention to his phone. I saw a smile on his face as he read something and I felt like I'd been slapped.

I continued to sulk until we were called to board and I held Abu's hand. Mentally calculating the order in which we had checked in; Afra had checked in right before me so she was no doubt my seat mate.

I helped Abu into his seat with Adil and helped Maama tuck away her hand luggage after tucking away mine in the cabinet above before taking my seat. Afra and Akram joined us together as they talked about something with Akram in front. They came to a stop in the middle of the isle where their two seats were on the opposite of the isle. Afra sat down on what I had presumed to be Akram's seat but was proved wrong.

So he was my seatmate.

"Afra?" Akram called

"Hmm?" she answered looking away from Ahmad who she was just speaking to.

"Let's switch seats" he instructed with a frown on his face. I looked away, out the window; a bit hurt at his suggestion before reminding myself that this was good.

"No"

I looked back to the two of them to make sure I wasn't mistaking.

Did she just...

"Excuse me?" he looked at her perplexed

She leaned closer so only the three of us could hear what she was saying. "Don't pull me into this" she said circling her fingers in the air

"Whatever" Akram mumbled before aggressively pushing his bag into the cabinet and shutting it hard then slumping angrily into the seat beside me.

And I thought the ride here from home was long

XXX

"What's that?" Maama asked. Afra and I looked at where Maama's attention was to find Akram pulling a black duffel bag towards the main door.

"My clothes" He replied standing up straight.

"Where are you taking your clothes?" She asked again