Chapter 27

"The silence is the worst part of any fight, because it's made up of all the things we wish we could say, if only we had the guts"

-Pete Wentz
______________________________________________________________

I looked away from the TV where Akram and I were watching National geographic and at the phone buzzing from where it laid in the tiny space between us. I picked it up to see an incoming call from an unknown number so I set the phone to silent and placed it back. It could be another one of Nasir's tricks. I was already under enough pressure as it was. The conversation with Maama last week made me determined to tell Akram everything. But the minute I dropped her back home and began the drive home knowing Akram was waiting for me; the determination flew out the window. Revealing the truth itself wasn't the scary part; how he'd react was something I wasn't looking forward to. We have been together for two months; and every single minute of it was utter bliss. I knew we had to fight about something soon enough but I hated the idea that Nasir would be the root of it.

He raised his brows at me questioningly at the phone call I had ignored.

I looked back at the screen before shrugging. "Unknown number"

"Answer it" he pressed. "It could be an emergency"

"Or it could be a misdirected call"

"I'll answer it myself" he said picking up the phone. I quickly snatched the phone and slid the icon across the screen to answer the call.

"Hello" I said wearingly feeling Akram's gaze on me

"Ya Maheen!"

I almost cried in relief when the voice registered to be Abu's

"Hi... how are you?" I mouthed 'Abu' to Akram as he was still looking at me. He nodded and looked back at the screen picking up the remote and flipping through the channels.

"I'm fine. Daddy bought me a phone!"

"That's great news!" I smiled. "Congratulations"

"I'm going to tell all my classmates tomorrow. None of them has a phone" he stated proudly

"They would be very jealous" I laughed. "We'll celebrate when you come over next weekend" I promised

"Ok!"

"Tell Daddy and Maama I said Goodnight"

"Ok. Bye..."

"Bye" I said and hung up a smile still on my face. "He got a phone" I told Akram "Called to share the news" I grinned while he laughed.

"And you would have missed that important call" Akram teased making me remember my previous apprehension about Nasir. I couldn't keep dodging this forever. So I ignored the very scared little girl inside me who would never be ready for a misunderstanding let alone a fight; warning me to shut up and spoke up.

"I have something to tell you" I announced turning then crossing and tucking my legs underneath me so I could face him on the couch. He looked surprised at how nervous I was and I could see him wondering what was so serious. He too turned; folded his right leg and placing it on the couch while his left leg was still touching the floor.

"Tell me"

"The first day I met your parents..." I began not sure if he already knew about it or not. "They had come over for brunch"

He said nothing

"Nasir invited your dad over to talk about work. He was seeking out a construction work to be granted to his construction company. Which your father granted" I paused reconsidering my decision to spill. I really didn't want a misunderstanding. I toughened up and continued. "I think there was another contract that your dad and Nasir were talking about. And then I moved in with your parents; Maama found out what Nasir put me through all the years before; how he treated me and she must have discussed it with Daddy one time or another. And then Daddy never awarded the second construction contract to Nasir who seems to think it's because of me"