Chapter 29

The real lover is the man who can thrill you by kissing your forehead or smiling into your eyes or just staring into space

-Marilyn Monroe
_______________________________

So it turned our husbands were well acquainted. Actually the entire household was well known to Akram; I was just surprised he hadn't mentioned Farhan. He sounded like a college mate I wouldn't have regretted having over dinner. He and his wonderful family. She also told me she had heard about the wedding but they were out of the country at the time hence they didn't attend and hence we weren't acquainted.

"So you're taking her word for it and leaving?" she stared at me like I'd grown a second head. "She's obviously lying!" she exclaimed

She was probably right. But Nabeela had a God given skill of disorienting me. She threw all my determination out the window the minute she spoke. I was letting her get to my head again and I needed to stop.
She then went ahead to tell me of her own threat who came through her husband's cousin. She also reminded me that Nabeela wasn't much of a threat since she was married and obviously had no feelings towards Akram. She just relished in the feeling of making me look bad.
"You're going to wait for your husband you hear me?" she scolded as though she was talking to one of her kids who were all currently huddled together playing on the bench opposite us. "The lady just enjoys frazzling you and you're not going to let her have such enjoyment at your expense"

"Yes Ma'am" I said with small smile

"That's more like it" She smiled before saying after some thought "Our husbands are great friends yet we had to be introduced this way. But this isn't the first time I've made a friend in a hospital so" she smiled. Her eyes then shifted to something behind me. With a condescending smile she looked pointedly at the corridor behind me suggesting I do the same. I turned around to find Akram coming towards us and I stood up as he reached me.

"I was just told of your presence. I hope you haven't been waiting for long" he asked in sincere concern.

I shook my head smiling a little. "No I haven't" I denied despite having being there for over an hour.

"There's an investigation going on about the murder of a man and I'm under immense pressure because of-" his explanation stopped as he noticed the kids playing. "I know those- aren't they Farhan's..." I stepped aside as I realized I had been blocking Humaira from his view and he smiled in recognition as she came to stand beside me.

"I'm very upset Akram. You never brought her home to meet me" she jokingly scolded

"I'm very much in the wrong I admit. I'm sorry. How have you been?" he shook hands with Imran before picking up both girls in each arm smiling at them. "Which one of them am I making my second wife Humaira?" Akram asked grinning at the two girls who giggled.

"Well I would give you any one but I can't do that to my friend" she flashed me a smile

"Don't worry about Maheen she's not the jealous type" he grinned. He then asked me to help him get something out of his jean pockets and it happened to be chocolate bars which he gave to the kids making me wonder why he had them in his pocket in the first place but I said nothing. After he handed the girls one each he asked, "Now...who wants to marry me?"

The twin in pink; Safeena eagerly raised her hand. "I! I!" to which we all laughed before Akram gently set them down and they ran back to the bench to continue playing. Humaira's phone beeped and she typed a reply before informing Akram

"Your friend is here to get us"

Akram nodded and began asking her about the welfare of everyone at home and as they conversed; I noticed when a fair man arrived and as the kids noticed his presence they ran towards him making me smile. The yelling of the kids informed Humaira and Akram of Farhan's arrival. He reached us after untangling himself from his kids and then he and Akram greeted each other warmly. He politely greeted me and I responded before he allowed himself to get carried away with Akram and they began their chatter mostly about work. Humaira and I stepped aside moving back to the kids.