Chapter 20

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."

– Dr. Seuss

___________________________________________________________

"Stop fidgeting it'll be alright" Afra said sitting next to a fidgety me on the bed.

"They've been talking for so long" I said my heart beating furiously against its cages. "Do you think they're mad at me?" I asked thoughtfully "This is really unprofessional of me"

I saw Afra chuckle. "Unprofessional; what are you in; an office?" she laughed at me, "Ya Akram and you are perfect for each other and your love for each other isn't wrong; so calm down. And as for my parents; my mum loves you so much she can't possibly say no and my dad...well they're a united front so he won't refuse either. In no time you'll become my sister in law" she grinned at me

"Maama is calling everyone to dad's living room" Abu informed us as he stood by the door before excitedly dashing away.

This was it; I was going to get kicked out of the house and I was going to lose the job I loved so much. Akram and I would never speak ever again. I walked slowly towards my doom and opened the glass doors before stepping into the air conditioned room. Instantly I saw Mr. Ibrahim sitting on a sofa while Akram sat on the arm of the chair and Maama stood in the middle of the room all three wore solemn expressions.

I stood by the door afraid to walk in deeper into the room and watched as Ahmad and Adil strode casually into the room and took seats. Afra motioned me to come with her and sit down but I refused and asked her to sit. She walked ahead and sat with her brothers leaving me standing.

"What's up?" Adil asked "We haven't had a family meeting in forever. Literally; this is the first time" he smiled

"Shut up" Ahmad hit his shoulder playfully and they waited for their mum to speak.

"What is up..." Maama began, "Is that something so important happened in my house and I had no idea" she said looking at me; "Aren't we supposed to not be formal with each other?" She asked sounding...not angry.

I took a chance and looked up to meet her gaze and I saw a genuine smile as she inspected my face. I saw her smile grow bigger at my confusion and she looked towards her children, "Akram is getting married" She announced and the grins broke on their faces. Afra jumped up in excitement and pulled me into a hug "Congratulations" she laughed and I found myself laughing with her.

"Hey Dumbo" Ahmad called, "He's the one getting married" he said pointing at Akram. "You're congratulating the wrong person"

Afra rolled her eyes at him and Maama grinned at his obliviousness. "Our Maheen is the one Akram's marrying" Maama informed the two of them who didn't know and I watched their eyes bulge slightly.

"Well that's a twist I didn't see coming" Adil stated and his family laughed.

"Congratulations" were what I kept hearing for the next many minutes.

"Another important announcement" Afra broke the conversation the family was having. "I shall organize this wedding. I shall marry you both in splendor. Your wedding's going to be the topic of discussion everywhere. Just you watch" Afra grinned and Ahmad rolled his eyes at her.

"You can't possibly handle such a large responsibility" her mum reasoned

"I trust my girl completely" Mr. Ibrahim spoke, "She'll pull it off"

"Thanks daddy" she grinned going over to stand by him. "Uh by the way; you're going to have to splurge. My budget is huge" then ran to me grabbing my hand and pulling me out the room breaking the silent conversation Akram and I had been having.