Chapter 4

When I reached home and honked for the gate to be opened; no one came to open it. So I stepped out the car, locked it and walked into the house through the door that was left open. It was strange to say the least. Because of Nasir's strictness; the people who worked in the house were very dutiful. They had to be, if not they'd face Nasir's anger instantly. In a way Nasir took off a lot of responsibilities off my hand leaving me with lots of time to be with Amir.

When I approached the front door; I saw two men emerge from the house and they didn't look familiar. I greeted them anyway, "Welcome," I smiled, "Why are you leaving in such a hurry?"

"It's alright" one of them answered avoiding eye contact as they hurried out through the gate.

This adding to the fact that none of the staff that usually hang around the house including the youngsters who sit in front of the house to chat were around; made me feel something was wrong. But I dismissed the thought the second it came and hurried into the house to my Amir.

Fine; I'm a little obsessed with my son. Sue me.

When I entered the house; I realized where everyone went. They weren't outside because they were all standing here in the living room. For what reason though I have no idea

"Why are you all standing?" I asked and all of them turned to look at me and I noticed all their sullen expressions. I mentally shook my head, Nasir must be the reason for their sadness. When will this man learn to be nice to people? "Please, all of you. Be seated, I'll go get some drinks" I smiled ignoring the tense situation in the room; whatever it was didn't concern me. I turned to leave to the kitchen then spotted something that made me stop. One of the men had unintentionally shifted just a little for me to see Nasir. He was seated in the centre of all these men. His head in his hands; something he did out of frustration. But that wasn't what made me move closer. It was what he was staring at. From what little I could see; I saw a pair of legs outstretched on the floor; a child's legs.

I made my way through the men and moved closer to what I realize they were all staring at before I came in. my heart sank when I saw what it was. Who it was

I hurried to Amir who was lying on the floor.

"Oh God" I sat on the floor picking his head off the floor and placing it on my thighs. "Nasir! What happened? What happened to Amir why is he lying on the floor?" I asked and was met with no answer. "Nasir!"

The men behind us began to leave and I called out the driver. "Please help me! Something is wrong, let's take Amir to the hospital" I pleaded but the man didn't show any indication of hearing me. "At least help me pick him off the floor, I don't like him being on the floor, please" I begged the driver who at my words broke into a loud cry.

I turned my attention back to Nasir, "Nasir please" I said and tried to lift Amir's head off of me so I could move closer to Nasir and shake him out of his thoughts. He could think later, right now my son needed help and for some reason no one was giving it to him.

As I lifted Amir's head I stopped; noticing for the first time the warm red liquid that had been oozing out of him and my heartbeat soared out of fright.

"Nasir" I said in a whisper "Nasir he's bleeding" I pointed out what perhaps everyone knew already. Looking at the blood on the floor coming out of my son I began shaking and stepped back a little out of fear. I grabbed Nasir making him move for the first time since I entered the room. "Nasir" I said pointing at Amir, "Nasir". For two minutes Nasir was the only word I could mutter and I felt the first tear run down my cheek. I felt my hands being removed from Nasir's shoulder where I had been gripping and he pushed me away.

"Nasir he's bleeding let's take him to the hospital" I begged but Nasir continued to stare at me. Other had left the room leaving the sobbing driver, Nasir and i and of course Amir. "Nasir please, don't punish me like this my son is hurt" I said sobbing. "Nasir please listen to me. You can ignore me later, Amir is hurt" I continued but he looked away. "Nasir!" I screamed getting angry. What sort of man was he? Was this the time to be acting pricey? This was his son too!

And then he spoke, he said words I never thought I'd hear. "Amir is dead"

"Nasir please let's get him to the hospital. I'm not a doctor but I know bleeding is very bad. He could be seriously injured" I argued but he continued staring at me.

"Fine! Don't help me" I yelled at both him and the driver. I crawled back to where Amir was laying; sleeping. I put my hands underneath him to pick him up, my fear of blood being replaced by my fear of something worse happening to Amir.  I ignored the slight stench due to his blood stained shirt and when I picked him up I noticed how his neck fell in a very odd direction and it only increased the fear. I started walking towards the door to take him to the hospital myself. I didn't need them.

I was almost out the door when I was pulled back. In an instant Amir was taken off of me by Nasir and then he handed his sleeping body over to the driver.

"Finally," I said wiping the tears that stained my cheek. "Let's go" but he stood still. "What the hell is wrong with you?!" I pushed him. I knew Nasir was always looking for new ways to hurt me but I never one thought he'd call our son dead just to do that. I swallowed down the urge to slap him and walked over to someone who I knew loved Amir a lot too.

"Let's go to the hospital" I said to him

"Madam" the man said crying, "Amir is dead"

And I suddenly knew why the men outside wouldn't look at me.

"To God we belong and to him we shall return"