Chapter 8

"There are no ordinary moments. There is always something going on." - Peaceful Warrior

____________________________________________________________________________

"Where are you going? " my mom asked as I stepped into the living room dressed and veiled up and ready to leave.

"I'm going to look for a job" I informed her. "I have a degree that needs to be put to use"

She doesn't say anything which signifies her approval though I doubted she was going to disapprove of me earning money. As I stepped out my phone rang so I stopped to answer it. It was an international number

"Assalamu Alaikum" came a familiar lady voice through the phone. "It's Mrs. Ibrahim. We were at your house the other morning before we left for the airport. I recognized her to be the minister's wife.

"Wa'alaikumus Salam" I greeted back.

"I just heard what happened Maheen. I'm so sorry for your loss. May his soul rest in peace"

"Ameen" I muttered.

"My husband also told me what happened between you and Nasir. I'm so sorry for that. Death of a child can be tough on a marriage"

"Yeah..."

"If you don't mind; I'll be back in about three days. I want to see you"

"Okay" I answered

"Good. I'll see you then"

XXX

"Madam will be out in a few minutes" a lady smiled at me as she set a tray of drinks and snacks on the coffee table beside me.

I was deep in thought about why I was here when Mrs Ibrahim walked in. I stood up to greet her and she pulled me into a hug. A motherly one. Not that I would know how that felt.

"Allah is with the patient" she said with a sad smile before sitting down and motioning me to do the same.

"Good afternoon"

"Afternoon Maheen how are you?"

"I'm fine, you?"

"I'm good" just then a little boy I remember to be Abu ran into the room heading for the other door. He paused in the middle of the room suddenly remembering something before he yelled out a name, "MARYAM!"

"Yes!" the lady who served me drinks earlier came into the living room.

"I left my toy cars here. Where are they?!" he asked

"I put them away, come, I'll show you"

He shook his head in disappointment. "I thought I told you to always ask me before moving my things" he sighed as he walked behind her as they exited the room.

I turned my attention back to his mother to find her smiling at me. "You see, that exactly is why I chose you before anyone"

"Chose me for what exactly?" I asked

"I want you to be my son's nanny" she stated. "Now don't misunderstand me. I know you are an educated woman and could do something way classier than being a nanny. But you love kids, and I want someone who will look after my son honestly. I don't trust these ladies. But I've seen you around your son" She smiled sadly again before continuing "And I don't think I've met anyone else who could meet my standards. Now I am not pressurizing you. You can say no this instant and I will respect your decision. But you love kids; and this is the perfect opportunity for you to work with what you love. Not all people are so lucky"

I smiled; "I'd love to"

She grinned, "Alhamdulillah. Let's hear your conditions"

"I can work for as many hours as you want" I shrugged, "I don't mind"

"But you live on the other side of town. I can't make you work late and leave here late. It's dangerous out there" she said in consideration.

I nodded "True"

"Do you mind moving in here?" she asked. "We have plenty of space," she smiled "that is if your family won't mind"

"I'm sure they'll be okay with it"

She then went ahead to discuss my fees and she was very generous with her offer. I was just looking after a kid. Once all that was settled; she stood up "Good, you can move in and start as soon as possible"

"Thank you" I answered and left soon after. I moved in two days later with no objections from my mother.

XXX

"Stand still!" I mock glare at Abu as I dress him for school. The bus is going to be here any-" and a honk came from the gate "It's here"

He giggles as I adjust his tie. It's been almost two weeks since I started working and the boy had warmed up to me. I pick up his bag and lunch box and I walk him to the gate. I help him into the bus before walking back into the house. Mrs. Ibrahim was standing by the dining area, "Good morning Maama" I greeted her. I figured since I was hanging around her son a lot; whatever I addressed her as would influence him. So I chose to call her mum.

"Good morning Maheen" she smiled as she sat down on the dining table. "Come join me for breakfast"

I shook my head, "I'm fine"

She rolled her eyes, "Don't be silly. I've told you Maheen. You are not a maid in this house. I consider you my daughter. So stop treating me so formally. Sit"

I sat down and we quietly had breakfast.

"I have some work in town" maama said putting on her veil. "I'll be back late. I leave the house in your care" she patted my shoulder before walking out. It was weird how much she trusted me. Both her and her husband; even though he said very little to me, always made me feel at home. More at home than I felt in my own home.

XXX

"Goodnight" I said to the little boy then went ahead to switch off the television in his room and the lights. I locked the main entrance to the house and removed the key in order to let maama get in easily when she gets back. I switched off the living room television and lights and walked into the kitchen to make sure that door was locked too. I got a bottle of water from the fridge and headed back to my room when I heard shuffling back in the kitchen. I dismissed the sound as my hallucination and began walking again when I heard someone jiggling the lock with a bunch of keys.

My heartbeat spiked. Mr Ibrahim was out of town; and maama told me she would let herself in through the front door. It had to be a bugler. I removed the plastic flowers from the vase on the table in the corridor and tiptoed back into the kitchen. I could see the figure of a man by the other door. I continued chanting prayers in my mind and tiptoed behind him. I raised the vase to hit him and just in time he turned so I missed him but broke the vase as it hit the door.

"Oh my God!" I screamed realizing what I had just done. Even if he had no intention of hurting anyone; I just changed his mind. I made a dash for it but ended up on the floor when I tripped over something on the floor and tumbled down. "Please don't hurt me" I pleaded when I saw him standing over me. He walked past me and turned on the lights. It took my eyes a few seconds to adjust and when they did; they were bulging out of their sockets.

"You?!" both Akram and I said in unison

I got on my feet and he asked me "What are you doing here?!"

"I work here" I answered, "What are you doing here?"

The door behind me flung open and maama walked in. "Maheen; you're still awake?" she smiled at me before her eyes moved on to the man behind me. "Akram, when did you get back?"

"Just now" he smiled.

"Maheen" maama smiled, "This is Akram, my son"

My face flushed in embarrassment. "I'm sorry"

He shook his head, "It's okay"

"I'm just...I need to...uh, Goodnight" I said to the mother and son before quickly excusing myself.

I heard maama's chuckle behind me before she answered, "Goodnight"