Chapter13

"True friendship comes when the silence between two people is comfortable"

-David Tyson Gentry

___________________________________________________________________

"Has the plane landed yet?" Maama asked Akram for the umpteenth time who on her insistence had called his father again to ask

He shook his head.

"Maama calm down, they'll be here safe and sound insha Allah" I smiled at her and she nodded my words doing nothing to soothe her worry. After a minute of contemplation she spoke, "Akram let's go to the airport. I don't even know why I let your father convince me to stay back home" she stood up. "Maheen get me my veil so we can leave"

"Maama why are you getting worried; the plane must have taken off later than scheduled that's why they're not here yet. There's nothing to worry about" Akram pacified her

"Akram let's go there please. I can't wait here"

"Maama" I tried, "Please just stop worrying" as I ended my statement the doorbell rang.

Maama rolled her eyes, "Who is this person that has the absolute worst timing?"

"I'll get the door" I said to Akram and her and went to open it. I opened it to see Mr. Ibrahim standing there with a man that looked strikingly like his father and a small framed beautiful girl that had the eyes of Maama, I couldn't contain my smile. The girl raised her finger to her lips telling me to keep quiet.

"Where is Maama?" she whispered, a glint of excitement in her eyes

"In the living room" I supplied. I stepped out of the way as the two together with their father walked quietly into the living room and I followed behind.

"Maheen who is it?" Maama called and I didn't answer

As we walked into the living room and Akram laid eyes on the rest of his family, his eyes grew wide and Afra did the same thing she did to me; telling him to keep quiet. He rolled his eyes and we all watched as she tiptoed behind Maama who had her back to the door. After composing her excitement, she tapped Maama on the shoulder who then turned around, completely unaware of what was happening. Her eyes grew to the size of saucers when she saw her daughter then pulled her into a hug. After which Afra made room for her older brother who came in to hug his mother and she went to hug Akram.

"I can't believe you did this to me" Maama reprimanded her kids. "I've been worried sick" then turned to her husband, "And you were a part of this prank?"

He laughed, "I'm sorry Aisha" then excused himself

She went back to inspecting her two kids who she couldn't seem to take her eyes off. "You look so malnourished" she said inspecting her daughter then turned at Ahmad, "You don't take care of your sister" she accused. "She has lost so much weight. Not that she had any to begin with"

We laughed as she continued ranting and then Adil came into the living room having just woken up. He walked towards his family and shook hands with Ahmad and Afra punched his shoulder jokingly and he smiled at her.

"Where's Abu?" Afra smiled, "I've missed that little devil"

"He's in his room playing games" I informed her

"You'll see him later" Maama held her arm and pulled her towards the large dining table. "Come, let me feed you" she looked back at Ahmad who was standing behind talking to Akram about something, "You too. Come here"

I smiled and made to get back to my room to give them some privacy when Akram stood in my path. "Where are you going?" he asked loud enough for only the two of us