Chapter Nineteen- Getting Ready

Last  year at this time, I was writing  the final chapters  of Fire and Lighting on my new phone.

Now, I'm writing Ignite on my NEW new phone :)

I'm feeling very nostalgic .

I meant to upload this sooner, but the first draft that I wrote got deleted and I spent the next half of the day reading to because I was so mad. And then I realized that I wasn't really happy with that draft anyway.

Apologies in advance if this chapter stinks :(

April 20, 2018. 16:28.
Watchtower
~~Emma~~

After a long, monotonous day of sitting in repetitive classes and plucking out the same tune over and over again, it felt good to come to the Watchtower, aloof from the rest of the world, and make someone else grow calluses while they learned to play guitar.

My school project for my third and fourth semesters of college was to teach a peer or a someone younger than me a music skill that I had recently learned. I hadn't learned how to play the drums yet, Mara was too busy nowadays, and Bridget was too, well, Bridget for my first try at teaching. Sarah had wanted to learn guitar for a long time, but her dad, who knew how to play, didn't always have time to teach her. She immediately volunteered to be my "guinea pig," so to speak.

"That sounds amazing, Sarah!" I told the younger girl.

"Thanks, Nightingale." Brass Beetle packed up her guitar and smiled at me. "I love playing."

"I can tell. Jaime says that when you're not studying, you're practicing."

Sarah held her hands behind her back and scuffed her feet against the polished floor. Seventeen years old and she's still as shy as she was two years ago.

"I want to get a scholarship to BYU Provo. Jaime says he plans on going there too."

"Oh really?" I grinned deviously. "Well, with your grades, I know  that Wayne Enterprises would be more than happy to offer you a  scholarship or two."

It was really hard to think of all my young proteges and teammates growing up. To me, they'd always be those fresh little newbies who just zeta'd into Mount Justice.

I wondered if the League looked at me and the other senior team members in that way too.

"Come on," I told Sarah, "it's time for training."

With an eager grin,  she ran out into the hall, leaving her music supplies behind in the room we used for music lessons.

Shaking my head, I made a mental note to make her clean  up after training, and then I headed for the gardens.

I gave Wally a small smile as I passed his statue, and paused at the window. For a moment, I watched the stars twinkle against the night sky. Looking so close, yet truly so far.

Soft but heavy footsteps approached me from behind. "Nightingale, you ready?" Aqualad asked, taking my hand.

"Yeah. Sure." I said, trying to sound confident.

Kaldur kissed my forehead. "We'll talk after training."

Yes, Nightwing was back. Yes, he was working on the team again. however, he seemed perfectly happy to let me and Aqualad lead the team, when when I offered to switch out with my twin.

Hand-in-hand, we walked to the mission room. Bart and Rachel giggled at our hand-holding, but Kaldur didn't let go. Not like when we were first dating, and tried to keep it from Batman and the team.