Chapter Two- New Year, New Life

January 1, 2017. 09:00
Nightvale
~~Willow~~

It's warm. I'm comfortable. I'm not afraid. I hear nothing. No birds, footsteps, voices... Nothing. It's peaceful. I... I'm happy. I can feel my mouth curve into a smile. And then, I heard something. The tiny squeak of a door hinge, and soft muffled footsteps. I kept my eyes closed, knowing who it was at once by their step. Confident, yet halting. So as not to wake me I assume. A moment later, and I felt his lips on my forehead.

"Meine Liebe... Happy Birthday."

Connor Grace had chosen to wake me.

"Mmmm... 'S too early," I complained, and I burrowed further under the warm sheets of my bed.

"Ah, I'm afraid you have to. You wouldn't want to be late for your own birthday breakfast."

I remembered. January first. First day of the New Year, and my birthday. Last year, I spent it with my friends in Mount Justice, which is now rubble. Last year, on my birthday, I had my first kiss with Superboy. Now I lived at the Grace's house. And I am in love with my childhood friend. Connor Grace.

"It's waffles..." He said in a singsong voice. "You won't get dressed for my dad's famous waffles?"

I sighed, but obliged him, knowing what I would be missing adjusting my glasses and getting out of bed. I must have fallen asleep with them on last night. Before I could shoo him out of my room so I could get dressed, he swept me into a passionate embrace, pressing his lips to mine. All the kisses I have ever received never compare to just one of his kisses. They send a burning fire up and down my spine, and I truly feel loved.

Playfully, I put my hands on his chest and gave him a push.

"OUT," I exclaimed, shutting the door.

"Ah, you know you love me!" I heard outside.

"You're a moron!" I teased him, and dressed. Jeans, soft lavender sweater, and a pair of cream socks patterned with purple owls to keep my feet warm. I pulled my shoulder length hair back in a small ponytail, and slid down the stair banister to get to the main level of the house. As I reached the end, I felt strong arms around me, lifting me into the air, and placing me over a sturdy shoulder.

"Gotcha!" Connor exclaimed. Typical. He figured I would take the childish route, sliding down rather than walk down like a normal person, and decided to catch me at the bottom.

"Connor Grace, you put me down this instant!" I protested, but I could feel the laughter bubbling up from my chest.

"Hmmm... Let me think..." he said, tilting his head to the left slightly. "Mmmm, no."

"Curse you and your stupid six foot two height!" I shouted at him, pounding my fists on his back to no avail.

"Well, maybe stop being five foot five!" He teased, and his reward for that statement is a particularly hard thump on the back.

He walked towards the kitchen, still carrying me, before finally setting me down in a kitchen chair.

"Happy Twenty First Birthday, Scarlett!" Connor's parents cried from where they were preparing breakfast.

"Danke!" I thanked them in German, which had improved vastly over the last few months. I loved the language, and I hoped to be fluent one day.

After a joyous birthday breakfast consisting of Mr. Grace's famous waffles, sausages, bacon, and fresh-squeezed orange juice, Connor took me by the hand, and we met up with some college friends, and had a small party. I liked these friends just fine, but I missed my hero friends immensely sometimes.

After a full day of fun, I grew tired, so Connor and I started to go back to our home. We walked, hand in hand, the sun's last rays blessing us with soft, golden light.

"How's it feel to be a full responsible adult, Ember?" He spoke using the pet name he gave me when we were children.

"Still in full denial of my new responsibilities, thank you."

He laughed. Oh, what a joyous sound. Rich, and full of life. The kind of laugh you hear, and then instantly want to join in with.

"I have a present for you," his voice is soft and gentle, and he stopped walking, he turned to face me, taking both of my hands in his own. He looked shy, which was unusual for him.

"You didn't have to get me anything," I said, mimicking his shyness and modesty.

He smiled at me.

"Close your eyes," he requested, and I obeyed, playfully peeking, before closing them. I felt his hand gently tug out my ponytail, brushing my hair behind my ears.

"What are you doing?" I laughed.

"Keep them closed," he said, his voice a hairsbreadth from my ear. A shiver went down my spine in anticipation.

"You can open them," he said, and I do. Glittering in the golden light, was a round, silver pendant on a long matching chain. The only thing on it as a design was an eight-pointed star, with a diamond in the middle.

"Oh, Connor," I breathed, holding it in my hands. I noted it was heavy.

"Open it," his voice was barely audible. I did as he suggested, pressing a tiny button on the side. To my surprise, a song began to play in music box tones.

"It's "I Will be There" from the Count of Monte Cristo," he explains, fiddling with the box my gift was in, a long black silk ribbon dangling from it "You can put a picture in too, if you want. I just thought... It would be nice if you had something to remind you that you weren't alone, and-"

His words were cut off by my lips meeting his. I'm so short, I have to go on tip-toe to reach. He returns my kiss, slightly shocked, and then he broke away. I felt his hands in my hair, and I felt something being tied in it.

"You didn't let me finish," he laughed, and then stepped back, snapping a picture of me with his phone to show me what he had done. "Your hair looks nice pulled back, so I thought..."

I looked at the picture in awe. He had tied the ribbon so it formed a headband, and used it to pull my hair away from my face. The effect was quite flattering.

"You don't like it?" He said suddenly, pulling me out of my trance.

"I love it." I told him. He smiled at me, and pulled me into his arms.

"Happy Birthday, Scarlett. Ich liebe dich."

"I love you too," I replied in English, and we shared another kiss in front of the darkened sky, with only one very small star watching over us.

Hey guys! This is Allegra! Well, I finally got my own WattPad account! I'm EternallyNevermore. Feel free to call me "Nevermore" now. It took FOREVER to get inspired to start my first story, and by the end of next week, I should have the first chapter of my new story up. Sorry for the long wait with this chapter, I was never satisfied with what I wrote, I wanted it to be as perfect as possible. Have fun along the roller coaster that will be this book.

~EternallyNevermore

(Lizardgurl and I do NOT own the Count of Monte Cristo or Young Justice. All we own are our OC's and ideas)