Chapter Eight- Inspired

April 6, 2017. 20:16.
Wayne Manor.
~~Emma~~

"Emmaaaaaaaaaa!"

I moaned, slamming my notebook shut so I could answer the cry. Justice meowed loudly as I interrupted his sleep.

Mara ran into the room and stood next to the piano bench. "You wanna watch a movie? Tim's got "Captain America: Civil War" ready to go!" She squealed.

I silently looked back at the balls of crumpled looseleaf paper scattered all over the piano.

"No." I muttered. With that, I opened my notebook up again and started scratching out random words or phrases that came to mind with a pen that was almost out of ink.

Mara's face fell. "Oh."

A second later, I looked up and she was gone.

I sighed, feeling guilty about ignoring my little sister and brother. I'd promised Alfred I'd spend the weekend at the mansion, but I was so worried about the song I was supposed to write, it was hard to concentrate on anything else.

Justice meowed again, jumping down from my lap and running out the door to the main hall.

"Sure," I growled, "everyone else has left, why don't you?"

"Emma?" Tim appeared in the doorway Justice had just disappeared through, Jay snuggled in his arms. "Are you okay?"

"Fine," I waved him away, "Go ask Cassie out on a date or something."

Tim blushed, and quickly left after that.

I buried my head in my arms, doing all I could to not cry.

A gentle hand rubbed my back. "Emma, you're too tired."

I looked up, and a tear fell down my cheek as I glared. "You're one to talk."

Bruce sighed, sitting next to me on the bench. I was forced to make room for him.

"Talk to me." He insisted.

I sighed. "My best friend is gone, my brother left, Wally died, and I can't believe I'm still not over them! I want to help Kaldur lead the team, but I don't feel like I'm a good enough leader, though everyone expects me to, seeing as I was trained by you and Richard's my brother. I want to spend time with Kaldur, but I feel guilty every time I look at Artemis while I'm trying to do so! AND, have to write a song for school, and I am in no way creative enough to do something like that!"

I slammed my head on the piano with a loud "Bang," and sobbed.

"When did being a superhero get so hard?" I asked Bruce.

When I was a kid, it was much simpler. It was a smaller team, and we knew we could trust each other. And there was no question that we had each other's backs. We would grow up together, get married, have kids like any normal people would, and it would be like one big family.

And a family was something that greatly appealed to me. After losing most of my birth family, there was no way I'd let this one go.

"Write about that." Bruce whispered.

I stopped crying, and rubbed my eyes with my sleeve. "What?"

Bruce nodded at my notebook. "Taylor Swift writes about her breakups because she's always having them, right?"

Callous, but true. I nodded.

"And Adam Young wrote about fireflies because he was an insomniac, right?"

Again, I nodded.

"Maybe the way you can deal with this is writing songs. Emma, if you just relax, I know you can do it."