Chapter Thirty-Eight- In a Flash

*randomly adding pictures to previous chapters because I'm bored but I am also on writer's block*

June 5, 2018. 10:18
Apokalips
~~Willow~~

I crouched in the darkness, waiting for the signal.

Desaad's laboratory was admittedly creepy, but nowhere near the level of chills that Cadmus gave me. Not even Arkham Asylum scared me as much as the genetics lab that used to be in downtown DC.

To my left, I stared at the back of Emma's head, peering around the corner to make certain that the coast was clear. On my right were Bridget and Bart, both twiddling their thumbs at an outrageous speed to keep their ADHD in check.

In a quiet rumble of lightning, The Flash crouched with us in our hiding spot, nearly trampling Tammy and Terra on his way.

"No sign of Zoom. Yet." His update came in our heads. It felt weird, being connected to the adults telepathically.

"I heard that Willow."

I never asked to have my mother poking around in my head.

"Anything with Wally?" Tigress asked, on the other side of the building with Nightwing, Batgirl, Robin, and Finch.

Flash sighed, his shoulder slumped. "No. No sign of Wally, either." He said, sounding defeated.

"What about the Mother Box?" I asked quickly. I had no intention of being callous, but it was best not to dwell on the negatives when you were already swimming in them and I had been entrusted with that precious piece of technology, on top of it being our one way out of this nightmare.

"Sphere says it's in the main lab, in the center of the compound." Miss Martian said.

"Good. Alpha and Beta will proceed to the lab. Delta and Gamma, patrol the compound, keep a watch out." Aqualad instructed.

"Be careful." Nightingale added, standing up and brushing off her skirt. I groaned, shaking the dust off my wings.

Bart hopped to his feet like an eager puppy, helping Terra and Tammy up as well, but Bridget stared off into space, her thumbs still racing idly.

"Bri, you okay?" Her grandfather asked, bending down to her eye level.

Blur gasped, hitting her head on the concrete wall. "Sorry, lost in thought." she groaned, rubbing the back of her head.

"Are you okay?" Flash repeated.

Bridget shook her head, looking around the corner. "I just have a really bad feeling about this."

I saw a smile trying to fight its way onto Emma's lips. "I know how you feel, Bri."

"Gamma squad, come in." She held her fingertips to her temples, more out of habit than necessity.

"Nothing over here so far. RA suggested clockwise around the outer wall?" Lagoon Boy asked.

"Sounds good." Emma said. Her hand dropped to her side, and she carefully led us out of the shadows, onto the roof of the laboratory.

"I don't like this place." Bart shuddered. Even though we knew Wally was alive, it wasn't any less painful to call Bart Kid Flash. Actually, it might have been more painful.

"So," I whispered as we crept along, "Are you guys hoping that we run into Wally or not?"

My question was only met with silence, and I was about to apologize when Bridget spoke up.