A Little Help

Chapter Four

"Is she ok?"

"Is she dead?"

"Is she still breathing?"

I heard quite a few voices around me. I tried to sit up, but someone gently pushed me back down. My eyes were closed and I felt extremely weak. That's when I blacked out again.

When I woke up, the two boys from the park were staring down at me. "Are you ok?" the dark haired one asked. They both looked bruised. That's when I realized it. They had helped me.

I was now in someone else's house. "Does she need anything?" a big muscular man asked. I mouthed 'no thanks' to the two boys. They turned to him and answered for me.

"Thank you," I whispered to them. They both smiled. They both sat down next to the couch to keep me company. "I'm Ponyboy," said the brunette. The other boy looked around, shy.

"And I'm Johnny," the dark haired one added.

"Thank you for saving me," I spoke softly. The boys grinned.

"Well the rest of the gang helped, too," said Johnny, humbly. I leaned over and kissed his tan cheek; he blushed. With that, I giggled.

"So what's your name?" Ponyboy asked me. I rubbed my eyes and turned to him.

"Reagan," I answered quietly. "I'm 14, how about you guys?"

"I'm 14, also. Johnny is 16," Ponyboy replied. I tried to smile, but it hurt my cheek. I moaned in pain. Ponyboy's eyes widened.

"Are you alright?" he asked worriedly. I nodded as small as I could. He patted my hand sympathetically and Johnny sat examining his shoes.

"We need to call your parents," the muscular man yelled across the house. "So they know you're ok." I felt tears fill my eyes. I buried my face in the blanket and started crying. A hand rested on my shoulder.

"What's wrong?" Ponyboy's quiet voice filled my ear. "Is it somethin' Darry said?" I muttered a yes.

"My parents died," I said through tears, "about three years ago." A lump formed in my throat, but I continued. "My older brother Matt is 18 and he has to take care of me. He has a good job that'll hopefully pay well, but right now we're tight for money." Ponyboy gazed into my eyes with a look of sympathy.

"My parents died, too," he said, wiping a tear from my cheek. Johnny looked up at me and gave me a 'its gonna be alright' kinda smile. I returned it.

"Let's call your brother," Darry spoke softly and handed me the phone.