Make Some Friends

Chapter Three

We passed by a ton of houses, but they had no sign of people my age. I started to give up, until I saw a cute little house with two girls sitting on a swing. They waved, so Matt and I returned the wave.

"You new to Tulsa?" one girl asked. I stopped walking and nodded. "My name is Claire, this is my friend Valerie. What's your name?" she asked.

"Reagan," I replied. "If you guys ever want to hang out, just stop by the little blue house down Oakburry." Both girls smiled at the invitation. "Bye!" I said, waving and walking. They waved back until Matt and I were out of sight.

"I told you you didn't have to make friends right away," Matt said.

"I know," I replied. "I wanted to make friends." Matt smiled at the fact that I was actually giving this place a chance. I wouldn't make anymore friends, though. I didn't want to get too close to anyone, then have them leave me. I couldn't put up with that anymore. Losing someone: the hardest thing anyone could endure.

A week later, my brother and I were more familiar with the town. Claire and Valerie never came around, so I guess that try at friendship failed. It was summer and I didn't care if I spent it alone. So far, I had no friends and I no longer cared on making any. It was give up time. That time came often in my life.

My summer started to consist of trips to Dairy Queen, swinging in the small backyard, and walking around the neighborhood; all with my brother.

Matt was kind enough to hang out with me and keep me company. I could tell he felt sorry for me, but at least he was around.

It was now a week and two days since we moved here, still I had no friends. "Why don't we go to that park that's a couple blocks over?" Matt suggested. I shrugged. Why not?

I slipped on my sneakers and headed out the door. Our feet were in sync for a moment as we walked on the pavement. We stopped, laughed, and went back to walking, breaking our perfect timing.

There were a few people at the park. A couple, a small group of kids, and two boys around my age. I sat on the swing and patted the one next to me, motioning Matt to join me. "Hey, I see two boys over there about your age," he said, flashing a grin. "You prefer hanging out with boys, don't you?" he asked. I shook my head.

"That isn't necessarily true. Back in Arkansas, my friends were mostly girls anyway," I argued. Matt jokingly rolled his eyes.

For a while, we swung together. Matt looked like he was getting bored. "Did I tell you?" he asked. I shook my head.

"Tell me what?"

"I got a job at a shoe store," Matt said. "I don't sell them, though. There's a warehouse behind it; it's small, but it's where the shoes are made. The company is all over the country and it pays decent." I felt proud for my brother. I sat there, beaming at him and his self confidence.

"I'm so proud of you!" I said. "I'm glad you'll be able to support us." Matt nodded as I finished talking.

"I should probably start now, kiddo," he said, getting up and kissing my forehead. "It's 11:46 and work starts at 12, just for the first few days though. These first 3 days, I'll be getting home around 9 at night, but after that I'll start work at 7 am and end at 4 pm. That sound good?" he asked. I nodded. I hugged him goodbye. "Stay safe," he instructed. He walked down the street; into town. I sat on the swings alone, but I was just fine. The swing went back and forth; as it did, I stared at my feet. Without my brother, I was a little lonely, but I still didn't need any friends.

From the corner of my eye, I could see the two boys stand up. 'Please don't let them come over here,' I thought. The brunette one led the way while the dark haired, frightened one followed close behind. They both came towards me and I cursed under my breath. I didn't want them to talk to me. They'd leave just like the others; I'd lost my faith in the world.

"Whatcha doin' by your lonesome?" the brunette asked, curiously.

"What does it matter?" I snapped back. He shrugged.

"Just be careful of them Socs," he warned.

"You mean them prissy rich kids?" I asked. He nodded. He turned to his friend.

"You ready to go Johnny?" he asked him. The boy nodded and they walked all the way to the other side of the park. They apparently must've sensed my hostility and realized I didn't want them around. 'Whatever, that's fine. I didn't need them anyway,' I thought. I left the swings and started heading back home.

I walked along at a nice, rather slow pace. All of a sudden, I felt extremely uncomfortable; I felt like I was being followed. Quickly, I turned around to see Mustang following me. 'These must be the rich kids,' the thought crossed my mind. As soon as I started walking faster, they started driving faster. I started running, but I couldn't make it all the way to the house. They caught up with me.

Five Socs piled out of the car. They all came towards me and I backed up. I felt my back hit something; a telephone pole. Two Socs took hold of my arms, while two took my legs. The one left started patting me down, searching for money or something. I struggled, but their grips were very tight. "Stop resisting, kid. We've got a blade," he said. I only wriggles harder.

As soon as I did, punches were thrown at me. "Help!" I yelled, but they stuffed a tissue in my mouth. I felt blood trickle down my face. My body was aching and I now had no strength to break free. "Let go of her," I heard a familiar voice say. The rest of what happened remained a mystery, because then, I blacked out.