Broken

Chapter Fourteen

We ended up getting the house; our old one in Tulsa was sold. I spent the remainder of my summer at a nearby library, filling my boredom. I was still furious at Matt, I never forgave him.

Everyday, he would try to talk to me, but I wouldn't listen. I had lost more people, thanks to him.

Soon, it was time for me to start school. I went into tenth grade not knowing a single soul. I isolated myself from everyone. No one made an effort to be my friend; they could tell I didn't want one.

The day was overcast. Two more days until the weekend; I couldn't wait. Slowly, I walked to my second period class. I didn't care if I was late. When I got lonely, I carried on conversations with Ponyboy and Johnny in my head. I wasn't crazy, it just filled the empty void.

'Hurry to class,' Johnny said. 'You're gonna be late.' I rolled my eyes.

'Whatever,' I replied. I walked a little faster.

'We'll always be here for you,' Ponyboy told me with an imaginary smile. Johnny smiled too.

'Thanks guys,' I said and they disappeared. I turned right down the hallway and walked into the classroom just before the bell rang. As usual, I took my seat in the back of the class. The teacher told us the lesson plan and began teaching. I didn't understand. 'Just ask if you don't get it,' an imaginary Delaney told me. 'Or actually listen instead of missing Tulsa. You have to move on, so did we.' I focused on the board and took all the notes I could.

'This is easy,' imaginary Dally sneered.

'No its not, you haven't been in school for a while,' I countered.

'You're right,' he chuckled and just like the others, he disappeared.

Focusing on things was hard sometimes. I got distracted by my wanting to go back to Tulsa. Not a day went by when I didn't think about it. All the good memories with Johnny and Ponyboy, talks with Delaney and the others, and all the laughs. It was hard to believe I once hated that place. I should've appreciated everyone more while I had the chance. I should've talked to them like I had to say goodbye then. There were so many things I should've done, but didn't do.

I wish they all new how much I missed them.