Back Again

Chapter Eighteen

Matt moved some boxes out of the way. "I got a better job opportunity."

"Where?" I asked. He smiled.

"Tulsa." That was the exact word I was hoping for. I jumped up and down, excited.

"Listen," he said, "I accepted it because we would be going back to your friends. I knew what happened when those kids bullied you, but the principal wouldn't do anything. I just wanted you to finish a whole year so there wouldn't be any added stress." So he really did care, I guess. I couldn't knock the grin off my face. "The new job pays a bit more and provides insurance. I couldn't keep you away from your friends forever. I know its been a hard year without them." He placed a comforting hand on my shoulder and I felt all the anger melt away.

Once again, a moving truck was outside my house. We loaded the boxes into it and prepared for the drive back to Tulsa.

In the back seat, thoughts clouded my mind. I guess Matt's job here was pretty bad. I looked back on all the times he didn't have enough money to pay bills. The times we had to stop going out to eat. The move back to Tulsa would be better for both of us. I knew I'd never be a rich kid, because Matt didn't have the proper education to get a great-paying job. It didn't matter to me, it never did. I had a few loyal friends and a caring brother, what else could I possibly need?

Many scenarios continued to play in my head. I felt numb and tired from the long ride. My sleep was undisturbed and peaceful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Johnny and Ponyboy hugged me tight. "Don't ever leave us again!" said Johnny, not willing to let go. They cried and we all stood together, in an embrace. "I love you guys," I told them. Everything around me shattered. I began to fall into black nothingness. I was falling into nothing...

I look up and there are all the kids from Texas who ever picked on me. A tall boy steppes forward. "Nobody wanted you to come back. They all secretly hate you," he stated coldly. It sent chills up my spine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I woke up, we were parked in front of a motel. Matt turned around to me. "We're gonna get checked in and then I'm gonna take our stuff to the storage units, ok? You can stay at the motel when I go or you can come with me," he informed me.

"I'll stay," I replied, drowsily. I rubbed my eyes and unbuckled my seat belt. Together, Matt and I got our suitcases and checked into the motel.

As Matt went to take our stuff to the storage unit, I went down to the front desk. "Hello?" I called. A middle aged woman walked from behind the desk.

"How may I help you?" she asked in a businesslike manner.

"Is there anyway I can check to see if people still live in town?" I questioned.

"There's a 411 line, but it costs money," she answered with a sour tone. I went back to the room, worrying what everyone would think of me being gone.

Matt came back a little while later. "You want to stop and visit some of your old friends?" he asked.

"You make it sound like I haven't seen them in ten years, but of course I would!" I could feel the anticipation build inside of me.

"Thanks, Matt," I said as he drove out of the parking lot.

"For what?" he asked, clueless. I grinned real big.

"For bringing me back to Tulsa and for not making me stay in Texas," I responded.

"A year was too long to be away from your friends, huh? Two months hanging out with them, but a year away from them." His eyes were filled with sympathy.

"Well for two months, we sure did hang out a lot," I laughed. Matt nodded.

I didn't know why, but I wanted to visit Delaney first. Matt didn't even have to pull into the driveway. There was an evicted sign on the door and the place looked a little worn down. A tear escaped my eye. Although she was only one of my friends, it was still sad I didn't get to find her. I didn't get to tell her what happened or that I was sorry. She would never know how much of a sister she was to me. My stomach dropped, I now felt empty. The condition of her house made me grow curious as to why she left. Where could she have gone?

"I'm sorry, Reagan," Matt murmured. He tried to place a hand on my shoulder but I pulled away.

"Just drive me to the Curtis house," I said through gritted teeth. Believing the whole thing was his fault was the only thing that stopped me from crying.

I prayed and prayed that they would still be there. My heart would break if they weren't. 'Please please please,' I said in my mind.

As if in slow motion, we drove down an all too familiar street. The street where all my memories with the gang were. My vision was blurred by tears. I thought about the time Johnny had tried to give me a piggyback ride, or the time Ponyboy danced down the road. I smiled through my tears. It had only been a year, but too long of a year. The memories came back in floods as we drove further down the road.

"I have to drop you off," said Matt. "I have a meeting with a realtor. You have your key to the room, right?" I nodded. I got out of the car a few houses down. As I got nearer, I started sprinting.

At last, there I was. I stood in front of the Curtis house. I was back.