New Friends

Chapter Five

After I called Matt, I continued talking with Ponyboy and Johnny. Matt wasn't able to leave work since it was his first day, but I was allowed to stay at The Curtis house.

Four guys walked in, looking tuff. They crowded around me behind Ponyboy and Johnny. "You alright?" asked a guy with a Mickey Mouse shirt; I nodded. "I'm Two-bit," he added. "We helped Pony and Johnny save your skin."

"Thanks," I managed to whisper. Two-bit sat down in a chair and started watching TV. Another guy leaned in. He had a beautiful smile and looked like a movie star.

"I'm Sodapop, Sodapop Curtis. Pony's my little brother," he said, ruffling Ponyboy's hair. "If you need anything, let me know," he added kindly.

"I'm Steve," said another guy. "Take care," he told me and grinned from ear to ear.

The last guy, however, seemed to not really care. He had a leather jacket on and had the kinda swagger every girl admired. He slowly walked over to the couch.

"Who did you think ya were? Fighting the Socs?" he said roughly. He sounded like he was from New York.

"I wasn't, they jumped me. Tried to take my money....." I replied. The guy chuckled and twirled a piece of my hair around his finger.

"Cut it out, Dal. She's trying to rest," Johnny said defensively. He turned back to me. "Don't mind Dally, he's nothing but trouble."

A few hours later, Matt came by to pick me up. "Thank you so much," he said, shaking Darry's hand. Darry smiled.

"She's welcome over anytime," he said, warmly. I finally felt like I belonged.