Chapter 30 - Depression Rejection and Miscommunication

Warning: This chapter contains sexual content. It is not written to offend or meant to be explicit, but rather show true affection in good taste.

----------------------------------------------------------------

When you've suffered a great deal in life, each additional pain is both unbearable and trifling. - Yann Martel

Chapter 30 - Depression, Rejection, and Miscommunication

Emily's POV:

I walk to the river's edge and sit on a large boulder about thirty feet from the water. The coolness of the river permeates the air in the valley. This is the most peaceful part of the day.

A lone fisherman is anchored in the middle, casting his line. The water is clear and smooth in this section of the river, and the laziness I have felt for the last few days still remains.

With three more casts, the fisherman pulls out a small paddle and begins moving down stream and I watch him disappear in the fog.

I know the signs of depression, having just experienced that in my life. The same feelings are beginning to grow again. The first time I felt it was with the loss of my husband, and this time with what feels like the loss of my children and Cooper. This time I will meet it head on and fight back.

Between me being sick and recovering from surgery, I lost more than ten pounds, which is more than the weight I had previously gained. This episode has made me physically weak, and it may take a while to build my strength back; but I'm getting stronger everyday.

My parents have kept the boys for me to recuperate. They did bring the boys over here to visit, but I was still too weak to spend more than a few hours with them. The last time I've seen them was three days ago before Mason left for camp on Monday with Addy, Edward, and Helen.

Cooper has been wonderful, doting on me and taking care of almost every need. He's treated me like a China doll, and there lies our problem.

"Good morning. How are you feeling?" Cooper joins me on the rock.

"Good morning." I lift my head to receive a kiss. "Getting better."

We sit in peaceful silence until the morning sun burns the fog away.

"So, what are our plans for today?" He asks.

"I think I'm ready to go home." His face drops at my words.

"Do you not like it here?" I raise my hand to his face, putting him at ease.

"I'm very comfortable here, but you can't babysit me forever. You have to work and I need to get back home."

"I don't have to go back to work, yet, and I like babysitting you."

"I don't like you babysitting me." I turn away before I can see the hurt in his eyes. "I'm not fragile, but you are treating my like I'm made of glass. And, I miss you...us." I look back at his confused face. "I think you're much stronger than me, and I'm finding it hard to be around you."

"You're talking in riddles. You're not fragile, but you're weak?" I ignore his question, because I need answers first.

"What's happened to you?"

"I don't know what you mean."

"You haven't kissed me or touched me since I've been here."

"Yes, I have."

"No, you haven't. You hold my hand or touch my shoulder, but your kiss is nothing more than a smack on the lips. Why?"

"Because I don't want to hurt you."