Chapter 28 - Not my Finest Hour

Love is how you stay alive, even after you're gone. - Mitch Albom

Chapter 28 - Not my Finest Hour

Emily's POV:

"Give me a hug before you go." I lean in a give my big brother a hug, as I fight back my tears. "Be safe. I'll pick you up on Thursday."

"I will, and thank you." Since CJ works in downtown Little Rock, I asked if he could give me a lift. He was nice enough to drop me off on his way to work, so I didn't have to have my car in the lot for a week.

He reaches over and kisses me on the temple. "Don't worry about Cooper. I'll talk to him, he'll understand. But right now you need to take care of you. This will all be here when you return."

After making my way through security and down the concourse, I wait for my plane. Yeah, this is not my finest hour. I am running away, no not for forever but I'm still running.

Two days ago, I had intended to tell Cooper I was leaving on this trip. I had been avoiding the conversation, hoping I wouldn't have to think about it. But you know, just because you don't want to think about something doesn't make it go away. I should have told him long ago, before we even starting dating, but I didn't. And two days ago, I didn't get a chance. So, instead of telling him in person, or even on the phone...I left him a letter.

The night of his birthday he was so sweet and tender. He told me loved me, and then he spent the evening showing me. His words and actions made my heart soar, such a man as this...loves me. He had asked to spend the night, and I agreed. I didn't know what got into me other than I didn't want this man to leave my house. For 16 years of my life, I have only loved one man, been with only one man. Cooper might be changing that.

We spent the Fourth of July at the lake with my family. Most of the day was spent on the water with too many relative to count. Cooper took it in stride, like it didn't faze him at all. Dad and CJ both brought out their party barges, a few cousins showed up with ski boats, and anyone that had a jet ski brought it; that included Cooper and Michael. For hours we did not hit dry land.

That evening I met his Aunt Rita. She is a fun loving lady that loves her nephew like he was her own. We watched fireworks from Sandy Beach, and I had the displeasure of meeting Cooper's ex-girlfriend Charlotte. She made me question what he sees in me. I'm nothing like her. She's tall, voluptuous, and charismatic. I'm short, skinny (but I'm gaining weight), and reserved. With Patrick I never met an ex-girlfriend, so I never really thought about what any of them looked like. Cooper must have sensed my discomfort, because he wrapped himself around me and told me he loved me. Later that night, he gave me a piece of paper with a list of all the reasons he loves me. "And, I will keep adding to it." He punctuated his words with a toe-curling kiss.

A week later we went to watch the St. Louis Cardinals play the Atlanta Braves. I tried to get out of going, not because I didn't want to go, but because I was going to be the only female...again. I was trying to give up my ticket so it could be a boys' weekend, but Cooper says he wouldn't have any fun if I weren't there. It was a great trip; site seeing, baseball, friends and family. Cooper had given the tickets out to Foster, CJ, Mason, Holden, and me. CJ and I ended up having a long talk about my upcoming trip, that I wasn't brave enough to tell Cooper.

Everyday for the last three weeks, we have been together. Most of our time is spent with children, but our alone time is very passionate. He is true to his word, he wants my heart. He told me when he takes me to bed and we make love, he wants to be the only man in my head and in my heart. And there is our problem. I still have Patrick in both.

Two days ago, Cooper and I had a few hours of alone time. I needed to let him know about my trip, but like always I chickened out. I ended up talking about my new job instead. I had interviewed for a position at a local college to supervise intern teachers. That morning they had called me and offered me the job. It was only part-time, but that was all I was willing to work. This past year working full time with a toddler at home was hard for me. I felt like I was missing out on too much, and now with this job I can be at home more. We went out to dinner to celebrate and then stopped to buy ice cream for dessert. We watched TV in my living room, cuddled up on the couch. Everything was just perfect, simple and perfect, and then he squeezed me hand.