Chapter 17 - Just Like That

"Girls you've gotta know when it's time to turn the page." ― Tori Amos

Chapter 17 - Just Like That

Emily's POV:

I have the weekend to myself. My dad and Michael have been working on a project in my basement. After Mason walked Addy home, my dad took the boys with him for a few days.

Yesterday morning I woke up ready to make a change. For the last few weeks, Linda had been trying to set me up on a date with one of her co-workers. I kept declining. I was happy in my 'non-dating -- guys as friends' life, until I saw the pitied look Cooper gave me, or at least thats what it looks like to me. I see it from Foster, too, but not as much. They have been wonderful about not letting me mope, but I can't be their charity case forever. I need to learn to help myself. I need to start my life without Patrick, and dating is the next step.

As much as I love Foster and even Cooper, I'm tired of feeling like they're waiting for me to get better. So, I actually woke up yesterday and decided I didn't want to feel like this anymore and not ever again. So. I'm changing, just like that...I take a step to better. I accepted Linda's double date...

Foster came by last night to talk with me.

"You drinking alone tonight, too?"

"Not if you're joining me." He looks at my patio table and surveys the dirty dishes I have yet to pick up.

"Whatever you're drinking, you look better than Cooper." I ignore his comment. I don't need a lecture from him or Cooper tonight, and I really don't care how mad Cooper is at me. He should be happy I'm taking this step.

"Port. Have you ever had any?

"No." I go get a glass and a small plate of chocolate and fruit.

"I'm glad you're here. This is my last bottle, and I'm glad I can share it with you." I give him a smile that I hope looks genuine. I've been throwing myself a pity party, and I don't want him to think he is not welcome here. "Patrick and I bought is in Napa Valley on vacation last spring. We had never had port wine, and a man from Rutherford Hills has us taste it." I nod for him to take a sip. I giggle at his twisted, grimaced face. "That was my first thought, too. The man said it tasted so much better with dessert, and he handed us chocolate covered blueberries." I hand him the same. "Now, take another sip."

"Oh my god, I just fell in love."

"I know my thoughts exactly. Needless to say we bought six bottles." I hold up the half empty bottle. "But this is the last of it. We planned on going back to Napa before we moved here, but that didn't happen." I could feel tears sting my eyes, but for once I didn't try to stop them.

Foster moves to a seat closer to me, after he kissed my forehead. He reaches over to hold my hand. He didn't say anything, he just let me cry.

"I accepted a date."

"I know. Cooper told me."

"Are you about to go all bodyguard/protector on me?"

"No, I'm just checking on you. Trying to find out where your head is." His eyes feel like they are burning through my skin.

"My head is firmly on my shoulders. Linda and Garrett are doubling with me, so I'm not alone with a stranger." I smirk at him, "Is that ok daddy?"

"Oooooo, Daddy?" He smirks and chuckles. I shouldn't have gone there. "I like it. Who's your daddy?" His wiggles his body in an odd attempt at being suggestive. I just shake my head at him. My tears are drying up, but mostly because Foster has a wonderful way of lightening the mood.