Chapter 25 - Time to Come Home

Absence is to love what wind is to fire; it extinguishes the small, and enkindles the great. - Roger de Rabutin

Chapter 25 - Time to Come Home

Emily's POV:

Whoever said absence makes the heart grow fonder is an idiot. Absence makes the heart lonely.

My week in Boston so far has been bliss, except I miss Cooper. I had been planning on this visit since I was invited at Christmas, and now part of me wishes that I had not come...the part that misses Cooper, that is.

My friends Saada and Niam have kept the boys and me busy. We went to the Cape, visited museums, walked the Freedom Trail, attended a concert in the park, and visited every college in the area. Saada accepted a fellowship at Harvard a year and a half ago and was excited to show us, mostly Mason, around. Her hope is for him to choose a New England university, so he would be close to her, and I would have to come out and visit more. Actually, those were her words.

I met Naim shortly after we moved to North Carolina; he was Mason's pediatrician. About two hours after his first appointment, I ran to the store to pick a few small items, and Dr. Hasni was there. "Hey, mom isn't that my doctor?" Mason had asked in a 'not even close' to an inside voice. Niam got a good laugh out of my child's excitement, and we exchanged pleasantries. We talked again two weeks later when Dr. Hasni was out mowing the yard at a house beside Mason's new best friend. He had just moved in that weekend. A few months later Mason had gotten strep throat, and Dr. Hasni remembered us. He had just gotten married and was anxious for his wife to find new friends. He thought that I was a sweet lady (his words) and that I would be kind to his new wife. His marriage had been arranged, at the time he was 37 and Saada was 25 and fresh out of medical school. He wanted his bride to feel comfortable. Saada and I became instant friends, and that was nearly seven years ago.

Patrick had liked the Hasnis. As a couple we had a few things in common, one of which was age difference. Patrick and I were eight years apart, and the Hasnis were twelve. This difference never bothered me, and by the way Saada and Niam are together, it doesn't bother them either.

Cooper and I have talked each night, and have even texted a few times a day...each day. Saada teased me about being a teenager, again. She thought it was cute.

Cooper and I set up a time to SKYPE. Right now Mason had taken over the computer, so he could talk to Addy. I'm a bit anxious for my turn, and I walk in the room to move the conversation along.

"Is he still bothering you?" Mason asks.

"No, now he just ignores me when I'm at his house."

"Good, I gave him that as an option. It is better than him harassing you." I keep listening. I don't like the idea that someone is harassing my little Addyson.

"It is better, but I wish he could just be nice like he was before."

"I'll be home in a few days, and you can hang out with me if you want to."

"Good, that would be great." I'll talk with Mason about this conversation later. He's concerned about Addy, and so am I.

Peyton came in with Saada and Naim, and Peyton takes over the conversation with Addy. I can see Cooper behind her now, impatiently waiting to talk to me. "He's quite a looker," Saada whispers.

"Yes, I know. I find myself staring at him a lot. He is completely distracting."

"I can see that." Niam clears his throat loudly, and Saada blushes and apologizes, sort of.

"Coop, can you see me. You're in my c'puter." Peyton says as he tilts his head to the side like he's trying to see around Addy.

"Hello Peyton. Are you being a good boy?"