Chapter 20 - Shut up and Kiss Me

Part of this chapter is repeated in two different points of view.

Kiss me and you will see how important I am. - Sylvia Plath

Chapter 20 - Shut up and kiss me.

Emily's POV:

The sun and water wore me out today and I'm paying for it in the form of a headache. Two doses of acetaminophen and it's just now beginning to ease.

Foster is in the living room with the kids. He missed out on the fun this afternoon, so he wanted to hang out with them and have a movie night. I think Cooper is coming over to join him later, but I'm not sure.

Twenty minutes to go, and I now have to rush. If I hadn't laid down for so long this wouldn't be a problem.

I slip on my bright teal sundress with a mock wrap front, and zip the side. The color of the dress brightens my face, so I no longer look as bad as I feel. I pull my hair into a loose, messy bun. A little concealer under my eyes, gray shadow over, and a bit more mascara...now I look like I'm ready.

The doorbell rings followed by the voices of Foster and Gavin. When I enter the foyer, Foster moves into protector mode. He immediately wraps his arms around me, and narrows his eyes as he looks at Gavin. Then, he kisses my temple, "You look great. How are you feeling?" Gavin's expression changes to one of concern. I harden my look at Foster and his big mouth. "I'm feeling fine."

I look over to Gavin, "I had a headache. I'm fine now." Knowing that fine is never a good desciption for him. "Sorry, I know you don't like that word. I am medicated and on my way to a full recovery."

"You've become a doctor now?" He chuckles, but still looking concerned.

"No, I just figured you would understand more clinical speak. I just clarified my 'fine-ness'." I raise my eyebrows challenging either man to say anything. Foster's hand finds my shoulder, "You are always fine..."

"Not what I meant."

"True none the less." I let this conversation die, because I was ready to be on my way.

"So, where you kids off to?" Foster asks with a touch of humor.

"Dinner. Probably followed by a drink somewhere. Is that ok with you?" Gavin spoke directly to Foster.

"As long as she's back before her curfew."

I shake my head at both men.

"Shall we go?" Gavin asks as he takes my hand in his.

"Yes."

As we pull out of my neighborhood, "Honestly, how do you feel?" I could punch Foster and his big mouth.

"I feel better. I was a bit waterlogged from today, and probably a little dehydrated. I just had a headache. Honestly, I'm ok." He nods his head, "Good." His hand moves down my arm, and intertwines with my fingers.

This feels easy, nice, comfortable, and familiar, but it's not home. What's wrong with me? I long for someone that I can't have, and I feel nothing but friendship for one that could be more. I tell my brain to shut up...keep an open mind.

Gavin puts his hand on my back as we walk into the restaurant. His touch is light, soft and comforting. He holds open the door, and his eyes are warm and inviting when they meet mine. I still cannot believe such a beautiful man is with me. I push back my earlier thoughts and concentrate on the man before me.

I hear our waitress catch her breath when she caught a full view of Gavin. She openly stares at him while taking our order. As she leaves the table, I look over to my date who is completely oblivious of the young lady's admiration. "Does that happen everywhere you go?"