Chapter 24 - You've Got a Week

There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort. - Jane Austen

Chapter 24 - You've got a Week

Emily's POV:

My head feels heavy, and I don't quite have the energy to fully open my eyes, yet. Through my slits it is still dark and I can hear Cooper sleeping beside me. I smile.

Blinking my eyes open trying to focus to look at Cooper, his face is turned away from me. His breathing is slow and deep, he sounds peaceful. Moving closer I slide one hand under his pillow and wrap my other around his body to his heart. My body spoons his and I lay my cheek in the middle of his back. Giving in to fatigue listening to his heartbeat and his breathing, I fall asleep again.

One of Cooper's hands runs up and down my arm, and the other rests on my thigh. "Hmmmm, this is a nice way to wake up," I hear him say in a husky, sleepy voice.

"Hmmm," is all I have the energy to say. After some time I ask, "What time is it?"

He pulls away enough to see the clock...10:47.

"Are you kidding? I never sleep late."

He chuckles, "You never sleep."

"Yes, I do. It's gotten a lot better thank you."

He turns around to face me. His fingers go straight to my hair. "How do you feel today?"

"Head fine, heart better." He smiles and it takes my breath away.

I change the subject before any serious talk begins. "Don't you have to go to work today?"

"Are you trying to get rid of me?"

"Not at all," I say completely serious.

"I'm the boss. So, no, I don't have to go to work. The store manager can take care of any problems, and they can reach me if they need to." A mischievous smile creeps on his face. "What are your plans for today?"

"Well, since I don't have the kids, the only things on the list are choosing paint and checking on the garden."

"Can we do that together?" His eyebrows rise toward his forehead.

"I would like that." He kisses my nose, "But first breakfast."

He laughs and says, "It's almost lunch."

He rolls out of bed. "Do you want some tea?"

"Yes, please."

I walk into the kitchen and a shirtless Cooper is making coffee and heating water for tea. I watch as his the muscles in his back move. My eyes travel down south of his waistband...nice. It is a glorious site. This feels nice, and I smile because I am happy.

"Hey beautiful, are you checking me out." I know my face turns a bright shade of pink.

"Yes, is that a problem?"

"Not for me." He smiles so big and his face looks so youthful. He walks over toward me and kisses me on my lips, "Good morning." I could get used to this. It feels so nice, so...normal.

"You never told me. What time do the kids come back?" I ask.

"Not until tomorrow." His face lights up and I don't have to wonder long on what he is thinking. He bursts, "Change of plans. First date is tonight." He waggles his eyes at me, and I can't help but laugh. He's so adorable.

"Ok, time and place?"

"Now-all day including errands, and then maybe dinner or movie."

"Either...both. I'm game." He picks me up and twirls me around. "Why are you so excited?"

"Because we can definitely say we are dating." He's quite funny right now. He adjusts his imaginary shirt and tie, "Seriously, I want to spend the day with you. Thank you." With that he kisses me softly, slowly taking in my lips and caressing my tongue with his. I don't think I'm going to get tired of this.

-----

"First stop, your store." I tell him as he open the passenger door of his BMW-SUV for me. This is the first time I've ridden in his vehicle. It's very nice and extremely clean. I can't even see a speck of dirt.

"What exactly are we getting at my store?" He asks as he kisses my nose and gets in the driver's seat.

"For the most part, paint. Michael is sending the painters tomorrow." He looks at me quizzically, "Basement and Mason's room." Still no hint of recognition. I let out an exasperated breath, knowing I've already had this conversation. "The basement is being finished and Mason is moving down there. The girls, including Addy, asked if I could make a girl guestroom for them."

"Girl guestroom? I can't believe you said yes to that."

"Well sort of, it's a kids bunk room. They chose purple, gray, and black as the colors and they will have two twin beds. They can girl it up from there." I watch his face as I talk. "When boys need it, I switch out for red blankets instead of purple. Everyone is happy, even me." He laughs as repeats 'girl it up.'

As we get out in front of the store, I try to head in without him. He comes over to me, and laces his fingers in mine. My first thought is 'what will his employees think?'

As if he's reading my mind, "Everyone will be happy. Don't worry." I wasn't worried for me.

Mr. Frank, the older man at he counter, looks at us as we walk in, and smiles at us. "Hey boss, it looks like you caught you a good one."

"You could say that again." Cooper squeezes my hand and smiles at me. I feel myself blush. I'm just hoping it's not too bright.

Cooper leaves me to choose paint, while he checks something in his office. As the paint is mixed I choose a few brushes and some tape for another project. All the items are gathered, but he hasn't come back, yet.

I walk back to where I think his office is, asking directions when I get out of the main storeroom.

"Hey Mr. Mills, that woman that comes in here sometimes. The one you're always checking out. Well, I just saw her on the screen." I heard someone say. My heart sank a little.

I hear Cooper as he moved through the room, "Well, where is she?"

"I don't know. I don't see her now, but boy, is she a looker."

"Keep your eyes on your job."

"Yes, sir."

I take a deep breath and open the door.

"Boss, I found her again." My heart jumps in to my throat.

"Yes, I think you did." Cooper says not taking his eyes off of me. I turn to look at his employee at the monitors, and he is smiling with a huge grin.

"I'm finished. Are you almost ready to go?"

"Yes, I am." He introduces me to the staff, and he laces his fingers in mine as we leave the room.

"Were you watching someone in the store?" I ask hoping he wasn't.

"Yes," he says not hiding the fact from me. "You." I smile and let out a breath.

This is the best and worst part of a new relationship. The best part because everything is new, and you're just getting to know each other. The worst part because you don't know each other enough to feel secure in the relationship.

I know that when I'm with Cooper I feel secure, but he has a whole other world without me. It will take time.

We stop for lunch at a great Mexican restaurant that serves fresh made tortillas and the most perfect salsa. A few people come to our table to say hi to Cooper, and he introduces me as his date. I swear each time he does I blush, and then he chuckles.

"On Saturday, we're going somewhere no one knows us." He smiles, "I don't think I will want to share."

At Foster's house he helps me gather zucchini, yellow squash, and peppers. He helps me weed and water the garden, and then he takes me back home.

Helping me wash the vegetables, Cooper asks, "Do you know what the best part of spending time with you now is?" I shake my head as he dries his hands, "Well, all of it, but now after a while I get to do this." He kisses me on the lips, taking my neck and running his hand up into my hair.

"We need to loose this." He pulls out the clip that was holding my hair, and my locks tumble past my shoulders. "Mmmm, better." His hands return to my hair running through each strand.

I pull back, "We need to get the paint and supplies out of your vehicle. Then, we can do some more of this."

"Promise."

"Yes, and I keep my word." He follows me out to his SUV and he carries the paint as I bring the bags.

"Are you going to give me a grand tour?" He asks deposit all of the items in my basement.

I give him a tour of my construction zone. "Why have you waited so long to finish this?"

"My needs have changed since the plan was first drawn. I had to work with Michael to come up with a new layout. We have two bedrooms, a bath, a game room, and a safe room."

"From the outside, no one would ever know your house was this big."

"I know, that's how I like it, but it's still a bit small for the neighborhood. Even with this area completed."

"Most people around here are more about show than substance, but not you. You are very different, in the best possible way." He leans in and gives me a sweet kiss on the forehead. "I didn't even look. What colors did you pick?"

"Dove gray for the bedrooms, including Mason's old room, and soft, sage green for the rest of the area...with white trim throughout."

"Sounds nice."

We walk to the backyard from the basement, and climb up to the deck. The sun was just going down behind the trees, and the only sound was from the wind.

"It's peaceful back here," he says he sits beside me.

"I know. I'm becoming spoiled." He laces his fingers in mine and rubs his thumb over my knuckles.

"I'm planning on keeping you that way." He lifts my hand to his lips.

Cooper's POV:

She said I had a week, and I have made the most of it. On Sunday afternoon, she leaves for Boston for a week. Then to Nashville for another week while Mason is at soccer camp at some college.

We spent the whole day and most of the night together Monday.

Tuesday the kids came back and we were invited to Will's house to play in the pool. We sat the kids down (Mason and Addy) and let them know that we were dating. Both of them took it well. Addy was ecstatic and Mason just nodded, but in the 'You better be good to my mom' kind of way.

Pizza and movie night was Wednesday, but I sat with Emily on the deck just holding hands.

Thursday Linda, Garrett and the kids returned home from a vacation. They came over for a few hours.

Friday was chaotic. I left work at lunch to help Emily and Mason as they were preparing to be gone for two weeks. Washing clothes, packing, cleaning out the fridge...chaos. Peyton was happy just playing with Addy and me as Emily did her thing. By 6:00 we all left to visit her parents. We thought it would be easier if we were able to leave Addy and the boys with her parents, while we spent time together on Saturday.

Here I am bright and early on Saturday morning, knocking on her parents' door. She has no idea what we are doing today, but I did let her know she would need a change of clothes...at least one.

She greets me at the door. Her hair is braided laying over one shoulder, and she looks like a dream. I touch her face, and rub my thumb across her cheek. "Good morning."

"Good morning to you, too."

Jim clears his throat, and he has my full attention. "This is my baby, and only daughter. Keep her safe, and treat her like the lady she is." His warning was stern, but enduring.

"Yes, sir. With my life."

"What time will you be back?" I walk over to him and explain my plans in a hushed voice so Emily doesn't hear. "Ok, have fun."

"Ok, Mr. Planner, where to first?" She asks as we turn off her parents' road.

"Home."

"Are you serious? I spent the night at my parents' house just so we can drive an hour and half back home?" She's laughing at me. "Lead on." She is very trusting.

"You missed the turn." I don't say anything to her. Just smile. "Is there a short cut I don't know about?"

I keep driving. "You're taking me to the river." She sounds so cute and happy. "I love the river."

"I didn't know that." There are still a lot of things I don't know about this lady.

"It's one of my favorite place. Do you fish?"

"Yes, fly...no bait. How about you?"

"I fly fish, but I don't have a license." One day soon, I need to get her out in the water.

She watches the scenery, trying to figure out where exactly we were going. I sort of like her left in the dark. She is a little antsy and damn cute.

"Where are we?" She asks as I turn into a driveway.

"Home." Her quizzical look makes me laugh. "This is my home." With the looks she gives me, I have some explaining to do. "My house is Shadow Creek belonged to my sister. I kept it so Addy wouldn't have too many changes too fast. But this is my home." Her face lit up when she took in the craftsman style house before her.

"I already love it. Did you have this built?"

"Yes. I saw the plans one day, and I tweaked the design a little to suit my needs."

"I can't wait to see the inside." She walks slowly taking in the charm of the cedar shake and stone façade. I open the door, and I hear her take a breath.

"It's amazing. It's so beautiful." I watch her walk around my house, and picture her being here all the time. I give her a grand tour, and I can tell from her face that she truly loves this place. I save the best for last.

"Through here." She walks out on the deck, from the living room the view is nice, but...

"Oh," I hear her breath catch. "This is breathtaking." Stepping out on the deck, one has a better view of the river. The early morning fog hasn't burned off, yet, and you can see the fly fisherman out in the water. "You gave this up for Addy?"

"No, I gave up living here full time for Addy." She smiles at me and kisses me for the first time today. Right now, in this spot, with this lady, I am in heaven.

We eat breakfast on the deck, and spend the next several hours exploring my house and walking to down to the river bank. Every so often I would stop and worship her with kisses. We did a lot of silly first date things like: favorite color- hers green, mine maroon; birthdays- hers September 8, mine July 1; favorite all time movie- hers To Kill a Mockingbird, mine- Rear Window; wish you could visit- hers Florence, mine coast of South Africa.

I have lunch delivered, because I was true to my word. I did not want to share her today. Considering she will leave tomorrow for two weeks, I am definitely keeping her to myself.

Just before dusk, we climb back into my vehicle. "I hope you're ready for this." She's changed into a long flowing white skirt and a sleeveless green top, and she looks precious.

"If it's as sweet as your first surprise, I think I am."

"It's probably not, but it is fun."

Our drive is long, but the music and conversation is wonderful. By the time we reach the little town of Marshall it is dark, and we turn into one of the last drive in theaters in the state.

"Oh, this is fun." She smiles, and her face lights up.

We park, tune the radio to the right station, pop the back of the SUV, and lay out a blanket and a few pillows. She wiggles herself into a comfortable place and laughs at me, while I try to use electrical tape over the interior lights. She leans into my chest and for the next few hours we are together...no one else. I don't even know what movie we watched.

________

Please vote and/or comment...your feedback is great encouragement. Thank you.

Posted a picture of Cooper's House