Chapter 4 - You're Married?

Rare is true love, true friendship is rarer -- Jean de La Fontaine

Chapter 4 - Married?

Emily's POV:

I order pizza while Mason runs back to the field house to change. I make plans for Foster to join us at 6:00. Pizza, movie and good company...what a way to spend the evening.

Mason and I discuss movie choices as we pick up pizza and Peyton. We narrow it down to Thor or Green-Lantern, so he's going to surprise me.

Mason puts the pizza on the kitchen island, and returns to the car to collect all of his soccer gear and backpack. I carry Peyton in the house and steal a few hugs, while I wipe off the counter to prepare for our makeshift pizza buffet.

Within 5 minutes, the doorbell rang. Instead of Foster and his lady-friend, I was greeted by Foster and two lovely young ladies (girls). The taller girl has light brown hair and her daddy's milk chocolate eyes. There is little doubt that she belongs to Will Foster. She looks like she is about Mason's age and she is beautiful. The smaller girl is probably in 3 or 4 grade with very curly blonde hair and the most intense sage green eyes. Like the taller girl she is also beautiful. I look at her light complexion, pink lips and cheeks, and her eyes...I can tell these girls are not genetically related to each other.

"Sorry, I should have called to let you know we had an extra guest, but I didn't have your number." He turns his gaze to the girls. "This is my best girl - my daughter Chandler," gesturing toward the taller brown-eyed girl. "And, this is our friend Addyson. We call her Addy." The little blonde girl beams at me. Chandler is a bit shy or nervous, but little Miss Addy looks like she has a million questions just ready to burst out of her mouth. I reach out my hand and introduce myself. "And who do we have here," he asks looking at Peyton, who is still in my arms.

"Oh, sorry...this is my son Peyton. He's almost two."

The look of shock on Foster's face was priceless. "Yes, he was on purpose," answering the unasked question. He chuckles at my response. He asked if other people have ever been bold enough to ask that out loud. I told him no, but I can always see the question on their faces.

I walk with our guests to the living room and do a quick introduction to Mason. Putting Peyton down, I head to the kitchen with Foster and gather plates, napkins, and drinks for dinner. The older kids all help themselves to pizza before gathering back into the living room for the movie.

Mason chose to watch Brave instead of a superhero movie. He thought it would be a better choice considering the audience. He was correct, and I smile at his decision.

Foster and I sit on the couch. Mason and Peyton have a picnic blanket spread out for the kids to sit and eat. "Are you dating my Uncle Will?" Addyson asked. I choke on the bluntness of the young girl. This question got the attention of Mason and Chandler. Then, I chuckle and look at Foster who is finding this situation amusing.

"No, your 'uncle' and I are not dating," I heard both the both older children breath in relief. Addy just smiled and looked like she had more to ask, so I offered a chance to ask me two more questions.

"You have a wedding ring on, Are you married?"

"Yes, sweety, I am." Mason gives me a quizzical look.

"Then, where's your husband? And does he know you have Uncle Will here?" I feel a huge pain in my heart. I take a deep breath and try to recover, as Foster looks at me with concerning eyes. I smile at the little girl who did nothing, but ask the question most everyone else has asked in the past 3 ½ months.

"Oh, sweety...that was more than two questions." I get up to grab the dirty dishes and carry them to the kitchen. Foster's phone rings and he steps in the other room to answer.