Chapter 12: Don't Slip Again

It was all like he wasn't even real. The way he laughed at all my jokes, even when they weren't funny, and how he made me smile, and especially the way he made Jayce seem like nothing but a painful memory. Sometimes I even forgot that I still had his number back at the hotel, and that he was still expecting my call tongiht. I looked at Niall with a smile, and he smiled back, unwrapping the chocolate cupcake and taking a bite. I giggled a bit when I saw a bit of the frosting smear on the tip of his nose. Niall really was one in a million. I moved closer to him and wiped it off with my finger. He smiled sweetly then moved in and kissed me like he did before. The kiss was sweet, and kind. It was loving and it told me that he wasn't like anyone else. He was the rainbow after the storm. Niall wouldn't hurt me in any way.

"I think I am falling in love Evie." He said, his smile light on my lips. I pulled away, opening my eyes, and smiled widely. That word. Love. I hadn't really heard its real use in so long, and the thought of it just made me feel better. I pressed my lips to his once again, my arms linking around his neck. Niall's hands somehow found there way to my waist, and it was like nothing I had ever felt before. Everything was so perfectly in sync. Time itself seemed to slow down, until his hand touched a patch of bare skin, which was uncoverd by my sweater rising up. I jerked away, remembering Jayce's hands moving up my back the day he left. I couldn't. No. Why was he back? Why did he pop back into my mind? I was now taking short and heavy breaths, but it was as if I still couldn't find any air. Niall sat there, confused, and he looked almost scared.

"I...I'm sorry." I said breathlessly. He stared for a while then moved closer to me, but I didn't move. Niall then took my hand lightly and kissed the top of it.

"Evie, please don't be sorry. What happened?" He asked. I swollowed hard and let out a sigh before telling him about remembering Jayce, and everything that happened before he left. Niall was silent for a while, then pulled me in for a hug. His arms were wrapped tightly around my shaking, frail body, and I layed my head on his shoulder, trying not to cry.

"I...I don't want to remember him Niall. I'm so scared of him." I told him with a shaky voice, cracking in the middle.

"I know princess, I know. As long as I'm here, he won't hurt you, I promise." Niall stated firmly, then pulling away and looking me right in the eye. "I will never let him hurt you again Evie. If he ever even touches you, I swear to god it will be the last thing he ever does." He said, and I nodded, hugging him again. For a while, we sat there, just holding each other, and it was peaceful again. My mind was focused back on here and now, rather than my scarred past. Just then, I felt someone grab the collar of my blue sweater, and I was pulled away from Niall. I struggled to get away to get back to him, but whoever was holding me had too strong of a grip on me. Niall's face was filled with shock at first, then it quickly changed to anger. I looked behind me and let out a gasp. Jayce.

"She's my property, got that? She belongs to me." He said sternly, I kept trying to pull away, but it was no use. Niall quickly got up and came to help, but before he could do anything, Jayce let go of me and slammed his fist into Niall. I let out a scream, begging Jayce to stop, but he kept hurting Niall. Jayce threw him to the ground, and gave him a hard kick in the stomach. Niall let out a scream in pain, and I closed my eyes tightly, begging for it all to stop. I ran over to Jayce, and tried pulling him away from Niall. He quickly turned around, and swung the back of his hand across my face. I fell hard on the ground, and looked up at him. Niall was shouting my name, but I stayed put, knowing if I moved, Jayce would only hurt more people.

I sat up in my bed, gasping for air, praying that it was all some nightmare. I felt two strong arms around me tightly, and a familliar voice trying to calm me down. I wafted in the smell of Niall's cologne and knew that he must've heard me from down the hall. His fingers were running through my long blonde hair as I gripped his arms tightly. My whole boddy was shaking, and tears were streaming down my face.

"Shh, Evie, it's alright. You just had a nightmare." He coo'd. I nodded then pulled away, wiping away tears. "Now, do you want me to stay in here for the night? I only will if you want me to." He asked, but I shook my head no, and he nodded, then kissing the top of my head and leaving the room. I sat upright in bed for a while, then knew what I had to do. As much as I hated it, I had to protect Niall. Everything about the dream I had scared me, and made me want to throw up. My whole body was still shaking as I got up and looked around for my jeans. It took a while because of the lack of light, but I eventually pulled out the dirty napkin that Jayce wrote his number on earlier. I walked back over to the bed and stared at the phone on the bed stand. Taking a deep breath, I picked up the phone and dialed his number. 

It's all for Niall, he has to be safe. This is for Niall. I reminded myself.

"Hello?" I heard his voice answer. God damn it...

"H-hey, Jayce? It's Evie. S-sorry I'm calling so late, I was at the concert." I told him in a light whisper, not wanting to wake up the other boys. 

"Evie! Hey! No problem. I'm so happy you called. You know I never meant anything I said to you, right?" He asked. Yes, you did. If you didn't, you wouldn't have left.

"I-I know, and it's okay Jayce."

"Great! Well, maybe we can meet up tomorrow for lunch or something." No, I don't want to. I'm happy with Niall.

"Yeah, I'll see what I can do."

"Aw, c'mon Eve, you know you want to. I know you wouldn't let me down. Nothing's ever stopped you before. Don't tell me I have to remind you who you're talking to." Stop it, now. You're guilt tripping me again, and I hate it.

"R-right...I guess it's a plan now."

"Good girl. I'll meet you where we met earlier today, okay?" Why do you get to decide? Who made you the boss?

"Alright, I-I'll see you tomorrow then?"

"Of course babe. Goodnight." Don't call me babe, and don't wish me a good night.

"Goodnight Jayce" I whispered into the phone, my hand now shaking harder than before. Niall could not know that I would be seeing Jayce tomorrow, or he would freak out. I wasn't doing this because I wanted to see Jayce. If it were my choice, I would love to never see his face ever again. This was all so Niall would be safe. I knew that Jayce would do anything to get me to be with him, and if that meant hurting Niall, then so be it. Hell, he would probably kill Niall to get me to be his. Tears began to silently stream down my face as I thought about it more. I was being blackmailed. Half of it by Jayce himself, and the other half by my subconsious mind.

I was slipping into his trap once again.