Chapter 3: The City Never Sleeps

"Hey...hey Evie, we're about to enter Penn Station." Niall's voice chimed as he poked my cheek. My eyes fluttered open as I saw him cast a bright smile on me. I grinned then yawned awake. The train jerked to a stop, and I knew I had made it. I made it to New York City, and I was ready for this. Still, something inside of me was shaking with fear. Ignoring it, I got my bags, and waited as Niall packed up his guitar. Once we were in the station, he put his snap back and hood back on and we continue walking through the maze. People passed us by as if we were just strangers, and not a girl with one of the most well known pop stars in the world. He kind of laughed as two teenage girls with One Direction sweatshirts passed us by. I giggled along with him as we picked up our speed to get out of the station. 

When we were outside, I was in awe at the sight of Times Square. The lights, sound, and smell of the city slapped a smile on my face. I was in my paradise. All the things that my father had said to me were disappearing. I felt as though I really had a chance. The freezing air reaked of disgusting fried food and gasoline. Snowflakes fell from the sky, and I had a new voice chiming in my head. You're home Evie, you are where you belong. My mother's voice said. I finally made it to the city, and I was ready for anything it brought on. For once, I was on top of the world.

"Happy much?" Niall laughed putting his free arm over my shoulder. I laughed along with him and took a deep breath through the nose.

"More than I ever have been. I'm home Niall." I giggled. Then looked at his arm that hung lightly over my shoulder. He blushed and awkwardly removed it, still smiling. I let out a scuff of laughter then took his hand and started to run down the city streets. He followed behind and asked where we were going. My legs sprinted faster than they ever have before. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face even if I tried. I was too happy to describe in words. The lights of the city were breath taking, and everything about New York was warm and inviting. We passed Radio City Music Hall and ran around the ice rink. The two of stared at the towering tree in awe of its beauty. Every year at Christmas time, my mother would take my sister and I up here to see the tree and look at all the stores when they were decorated. Remembering her made my heart break, because I knew that she was looking down from hevan, seeing me here, and smiling because she would be proud. Tears slipped down my cheeks, but the smile was still there. 

"E-Evie, are you okay? What's wrong?" Niall asked. I looked at him, still smiling, and wiped away my own tears.

"Yeah, I would just rather not talk about it." I sighed.

"C'mon, let's go to the hotel." He says with a grin as he takes my hand and begins to walk through the city streets. I follow behind and we continue for a while, then I realized he was still holding my hand. I looked down, and Niall noticed. We both pulled away, blushing, then started laughing. As we were walking down the streets of Manhattan. "So how does it feel to be in the city?" He asked.

"Amazing. I love it here. All the hustle and rush, nothing slows down." I said taking in deep breathes.

"Glad to see you're enjoying yourself." He laughed.

"OH MY GOD!" I heard a voice shriek. Both of us turned around and saw three girls in One Direction sweatshirts run up to us. "NIALL! PLEASE CAN WE HAVE A PICTURE WITH YOU?!" They yelled. He smiled at them.

"Of course, you don't mind, do you Evie?" He asked me. I nodded and one of the girls gave me a mean look. I cocked my head to the side, wondering why she was looking at me that way. Did she think Niall and I were dating?

"Who's this Niall?" She questioned.

"This is Evie, she's an old friend of mine." He lied. I nodded and smiled. The other girls believed it, but the one still had the dirty look stuck on her face. Something told me she still thought that I was with Niall, and she didn't like that idea.