Off To Louisiana

"Aryanna you ready to go?" My mother yells out. I pack up the last of my stuff and grab my purse. Leaving home is crazy I've never really been away from Miami expect for like when we went on family trips.

"I'm ready mom sorry." I say putting my stuff in the car. I'm really going to miss this town regardless of what I went through. I get in the back of the car and put my headphones in. With my father being away on a business trip I didn't get to say my finally goodbye to him. I text August letting him know we're on the way.

August and I have been best friends since the 5th grade. He's had my back when some of these stupid people decided it would be cool to pick on the fat girl. I think my best years were junior and senior year. I have grown so much and learned to love myself. It wasn't easy whatsoever but with therapy and my best friend by my side I achieved my goal of being confident. Pulling up to August house made me realize we are one step closer to leaving our , well my home town.

I ring the door bell twice before August mother Marie opens up. "Hi beautiful come on in , August almost done you know how much of a pretty boy he is." Marie says laughing. I shake my head "Leave my best friend alone.". "I'm sorry honey but you know my son takes forever to get ready.". "I'm going to hurry him up.".

I walk upstairs and make the first left. I knock on the door lightly twice then once again a little harder informing him it was me. When we were in middle school August came up with this knock so we could know when who was over. "Come on in!" He yells from the other side. I open the door to find August still packing. I cross my arms across my chest and roll my eyes. "Don't start ya' shit I'm almost done." August says closing up his suitcase.

"I'm ready." August say pulling two suit cases behind him. I look at August skinny frame and laugh. "Whatcha laughing fa?" He ask in that thick ass New Orleans accent. "You now come on boy we might miss our flight cause of you." I say jogging down the stairs. "My babies all grown up na' don't forget about me I'll whoop both of y'all." Marie says laughing.

"We won't mom." I say hugging her. "Watch over my boy." Marie whispers in my ear. "Will do." I say smiling. I walk out leaving them to talk for a few seconds. "I'm going to miss you Ary." My mother says looking back. "Me too mom , I'll FaceTime you don't start the water works." I say rubbing her arm. "Whatever just be sure to call me when you guys make it.".

August gets in the car and my mom drives off. Looking out the window I start reminiscing about all the places me and August use to hang out and do stupid stuff together. A smile forms on my face at the kids playing in the park being a hot mess. "You know I heard LSU got some bad broads." August says with a grin on his face.

"Boy you need to be worried about making all A's not these little female running around." My mother says looking at August in the rear view mirror. I couldn't hold in my laugh. August gives me the side eyes and hits me. "Not my fault!" I say putting my hands up. "It is !".

We arrive to the airport with 40 minutes to spare. "Alright guys I have something for you both, don't open it till you get on the plane." My mother says. She goes in the car a bring out two boxes. "I love you both and I know you'll make me proud , August I know you hard head child so remember to stay on task and get good grades." My mom starts laughing.

"Love you too mom." I say hugging her. "Same here mom." August hugs her. We say our final goodbyes and head off inside to get checked off. "Can you believe it Aug we're about to board flight and start fresh." I say. "I can believe , shit a nigga just happy to be going back home." August says smiling. Even though Aug been here for a couple year he still has a slight accent. Part of being best friend with him I got to visit New Orleans a few times with him and his family. After we get checked out we follow the signs leading us to our terminal. "You ready?" August ask. "Yeah.".

We get on the plane and find our seats. "Goodbye Miami." I say looking out the window. "Wanna lay on my shoulder ?" August ask. "Yup thanks best friend.". I grab my blanket and cover me and August. Leaning my head on his should I close my eyes and fall fast asleep.