Anyone For Boating?

A/N: We have all done incredibly stupid things in our lives that cause intense amusement to others while they leave us cringing in perpetual embarrassment. This is such a case. A true story that happened in 2010 in Kent- the south- easternmost county in England.

With thanks to the BBC news feed into the 'Have I Got News For You' programme which took the story from a  local newspaper.

A couple set off in a boat from Sheerness in the Isle of Sheppey to meet up with friends in Southampton; a sea distance of about 180 miles. After 36 hours they had to be rescued by the Coastguard who found they had no map or chart on board.

They were not boating people and relied for their navigation on keeping the land always on the right-hand side of the boat to arrive eventually at their destination.

Unfortunately for them they did not realise that the Isle of Sheppey, although apparently joined to the mainland, is actually an island that lies just off the North Kentish coast in the Thames estuary.

They spent thirty-six hours going round and round the island until they ran out of fuel and had to be rescued.

It turned out well for them since they were saved, one wonders if boating remains a popular pastime with them?  

Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense!