Chapter 9: Peter's Story

Well, I’ll say this. I’m pretty surprised. Two people voted for her to end up with Zeke and two for Peter. Well, I’m going to say this: I’m keeping count. Feel free to vote more than once, if your vote changes or anything else! Now, that I’ve probably been writing this to myself, enjoy this chapter. Here’s the count on more time:

ZEKE= 2 PETER= 2

I’m a bit ashamed to say I didn’t pull away as quickly as I could have. He was just so sweet and it felt so… right.

I pulled away, probably blushing like some crazy person. I stared down at my feet, grinning like an idiot.

“Well, then, Sierra, or Rebecka, would you like to go have a drink at the Three Broomsticks with me?” he asked, holding out his hand. I smiled, accepting it. “That sounds amazing.”

He handed back my bracelet. He grabbed my hand and we trekked back up a little farther the main area of Hogsmeade. It was a little sad, seeing a lot of the stores and shops closed.

“It didn’t used to be so empty,” he said suddenly, as though reading my thoughts.  “Then the Death Eaters came back.” He had sadness in his eyes. I gave his hand a squeeze.

“It’ll be okay,” I whispered to him. He sighed and smiled. “You’re right. Harry will defeat him.” We went inside the Three Broomsticks and sat down.

“So,” I said, once we were seated and had our drinks.

“I told you about me. It’s you turn to tell me about you.” He sighed. “Why? You already know about me.” I rolled my eyes.

“Not really. All I know is you have or had a step mom and brother named Trevor whose a son of Apollo, by some odd chance. Oh, and your last name is Benew.” He sighed.

“Nah, you don’t want to hear about me,” he said. I made the pouty face, which I never ever made. “Pwease?” He rolled his eyes. “You don’t do that very often, do you?” I shook my head.

“Nope. But, you’re going to tell me about you, right now.” He sighed.  I looked down at the table and started to trace the lines in the old table.

“Fine. My full name is Peter Markham Benew. My mother, a witch, died when I was five. My father, also a wizard, David Markham, married again when I was seven to muggle named Lisa Benew. She and Trevor moved in. We were happy, like any other family. I didn’t think of Lisa as anything less than a mother. She was amazing, and Trevor was an awesome brother. They knew we were wizards and We knew Trevor was a demigod. It didn’t matter to us. We were happy, until a few days before my fourteenth birthday, the year after the Triwizard Tournament.”

He swallowed and looked up at me. “Let’s stop there, I’m obviously boring you.” I glared at him.

“Shut up. You are not. And you can’t leave me hanging like that! If you do, I’ll hate you eternally and forever.”

I had to know, dang it! I mean, who ends a story like that? Seriously? He smiled.

“Alright. You are so mature,” he said sarcastically, which I replied to by sticking my tongue out. Yup, I’m mature.

He laughed, a good, happy sound that takes you away from everything worrying you and makes you want to laugh. So, I did.

“Alright. Fine. A few days before my fourteenth birthday. Me and Trevor were in bed, but not sleeping. The rebels we were, we vowed to stay awake all night, or, you know, until ten for us.”

I rolled my eyes.

“When, suddenly, we heard yelling and something shattered. We both sat bolt up in bed and stared at each other, wide eyed. ‘What happened?’ he asked. I didn’t know. I thought a burglar had broken in or something. Being the genius I was, I told Trevor to wait up in the room while I went downstairs to check what was going on. I crept down the stairs and saw the living room light on. I saw the two shadows of my mom and dad. ‘Where are you going?’ she asked him. ‘Somewhere. Anywhere but here. I have to protect you and the kids,’ he had replied. I jumped off the stairs and ran into the living room. ‘Dad, what’s going on?’ I had asked. He looked like he was about to cry. ‘Peter, I thought you and Trevor were asleep,’ she said. I barely heard her. My dad was dressed like he was going camping. A backpack, jacket, boots and jeans. ‘Peter,’ he had said. ‘I thought you were asleep, bud.’ I stared at him. ‘Where are you going?’ I had asked. I saw a tear slip down his cheek. ‘I have to go away for a while, Pete, but I’ll be back. I promise. I’ll always be there for you,’ he replied quietly. ‘Peter, you need to go to bed now. We’ll talk about this in the morning,’ she said, pushing me toward the stairs, but didn’t stay to see if I’d actually went up. I silently stood there to listen. ‘Why?’ I heard her ask after a minute. ‘I need you to keep them safe. They’ll come for you if I stay here. Please, just let me go.’ I could hear the pleading in his voice. ‘Fine. Do what you need to do. Just don’t come back. If its so dangerous, don’t you dare come near Peter and Trevor. If they get hurt, I swear, you will pay. Just get out. I’ll give Peter the letter, just go,’ Lisa said. I heard the door slam and that was the last time I saw my father. He never came back, never called or wrote. He left me the key to his Gringotts vault and the letter. That’s all I have of him. He’s gone. He’s probably never-”

He cut off, staring wide eyed at something behind me. I turned. A man with scruffy brown hair and a beard was leaving the Three Broomsticks.

Peter stood up and ran to follow him. “Peter!” I shouted. What’s going on?” He didn’t answer, instead kept running, following the man.

“Wait!” he shouted to the man. He turned around to look at us, but I couldn’t see any distinct features on his face because of the sunglasses he wore.

The man turned the corner, and so do Peter, followed by me. I almost ran into his back. Peter looked around rapidly. The man was gone as though he disappeared into midair.

“What the heck was that?” I said, staring at him as though he was crazy. He didn’t reply. He sat down on the alleyway. I took a seat next to him.

“Who was that guy?” I asked.

“I-I think that was my father,” he said.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now we know Peter’s story. Why did his father leave? Who was that guy? Was it really his father? Well, we’ll find out, DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep the votes coming, Zeke vs. Peter!